Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: red gold

one last question! do i heat the whole piece as in silver or just the join as in gold? many thanks

Just treat it as gold and heat the join. the heat transfer rate is about the same, but it takes quite a blast, so the last time I used it (on a ring) most of the ring was glowing before it ran anyway. The heat probably won't travel so much in a bangle, Also I think my torch was getting a bit low so didn't have the same grunt as normal. You'll be fine.

it is easy to work with! just remember just stop if you think its gonna melt let it cool down and reflux!

i have loads of draw plates and have once seen the whole vice ripped of the bench because they forgot to heat the tension out the wire.

Also nearly been hit the head when the draw plate came out the vice and landed with a nice metal on wood sound infront of me like a whip from across the room with the wire still in one end of the draw plate and the other in the guys pliers!

Talking

Ha! Brilliant fun, eh? Bet you enjoyed a pint that night! My drawplate nightmare was with 4mm square and I think it was just a particularly crappy plate, to be honest (maybe that and having the vice jammed in place with my feet on the floor as it wasn't attached to the bench, yuk, yuk - but it's always worked before!!) as it was well annealed, I ended up forging it down in size and it worked just fine. If in doubt, hammer it!!

Nikki