I’m in the process of setting up my website. I’m a one-women show (no employees) and am a sole trader (actually not registered yet but will be) and trade under a business name.

On the about me page, in products descriptions and in other various snippets of text I refer to myself in the first person – e.g. “I’m a jewellery designer/maker” “please contact me if you’d like this in a different size” “I’m happy to undertake commissions” “come and visit me in the workshop,” etc…

I like this ‘voice’ as it seems more personal and as I don’t work with anyone else, it just makes sense to write in this way. For some reason (probably just personal taste) it doesn’t feel right to refer to myself in the third person “Indi is a jewellery designer/maker” “please contact Indi/Business Name if you’d like a different size” etc…

However, when it comes to the terms & conditions and other ‘policy’ pages (cookie policy, returns policy, etc…) it seems better to refer to the business/website name and therefore I’m using ‘we’ and ‘our’ e.g. “we may revise these terms of use from time-to-time” and “under our 14 day money back guarantee.”

This isn’t very congruent with other parts of the website where I’m referring to myself as “I” but at the same time, it doesn’t seem right to refer to myself in the first person in these policy situations e.g. “I may revise these terms of use from time-to-time” and “under my 14 day money back guarantee.”

I’d be interested to hear anyone’s thoughts on what style of grammar they use and whether it is acceptable to use perhaps the first person for direct references to ‘what Indi does’ and the third person for ‘what the company does’ even though behind the scenes it’s ALL just ME!