Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Houses

Default Miniature Houses

Lately I've seen several miniature houses/huts made of silver and/or copper used for charms and on pendants. I like the idea and have been searching online for any sort of instructions but no luck so far. Does anyone know where I could find any info? I do have a metal clay book which gives instructions for little houses using silver clay but I prefer the look of making them with metal.

(I could just wing it but my scrapyard of failed projects is becoming quite extensive as well as a bit discouraging!)

Basically, Sandra, You cut a line With a saw, at the back of where you want an angle. Then you file a V shape there with a triangular or square needle file. Finally you bend as you want and run in a little solder to hold it.

If you sketch what you visualise and make it in thin copper sheet first, say 0.5 mm in thickness, you can wing it to your heart's content without wasting very much money, only your time. You can use silver solder as usual.

The up-side is that you will learn a lot and the result will be all your own. Dennis.

Sandra, draw a sketch of what you would like to make, then we can give you some tips. A simple house is just a box shape with a pitched roof so could be made quite easily.

James

Thanks Dennis, I think I can visualise what you are describing. James I don't have a specific design in mind yet, I just know I'd like to try adding a miniature house in one of them. My current project (which has been on hold for the past month due to an inadequate torch) is a sea/lighthouse pendant, I'd like to do something similar with a beach hut. In last month's Cookson design of the month I believe there were two entries which used a miniature house.
    Though something may seem super simple for me nothing seems simple yet.

I suspect that the little houses you've seen are probably the lovely Jo Walker's - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StudioJewellerybyJo

Jo used to be a very active member here but I don't think she uses the forum any more or I'd suggest asking her.

My only watchout would be to try to make sure that anything you make is your own design, rather than copied from anyone else, which is only too easy to do without realising it's happening.

There was another entry last month as well which used a house on a pendant. When learning to oil paint, I looked at other artists for inspiration and help with techniques. Once I knew my way around I developed my own style. Same applies now, I see great ideas and want to learn the techniques so I can create my own unique style, not copy.

Of course if it is only small charms, You can use solid round and square wire, or round and square tubing for most of it. Let us see what you have made when the time comes. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I suspect that the little houses you've seen are probably the lovely Jo Walker's -
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StudioJewellerybyJo
    Or Vicki Ambery Smith, George- that would be a challenge and a half. http://www.vickiamberysmith.co.uk/gallery.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Or Vicki Ambery Smith, George- that would be a challenge and a half. http://www.vickiamberysmith.co.uk/gallery.html
    Those are delightful!

They were Jo's on the cookies comp and I must admit thinking that Jo had been making hers for some time and she keeps on adding to the range so I was surprised to see someone else making something similar. It's a subject that is very hard to make your own if someone is already producing them