Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Don’t Have A Thing To Wear with it.

Default I Don’t Have A Thing To Wear with it.

How often have you heard that lament, or even said so yourself? In this case it was in connection with a new jacket with a busy feather print. None of the dozen or so brooches available gelled, so I decided to make this silver feather brooch.

The spine is made from 1.7 mm triangular wire, tapered at one end. I must say, all the little 8.5 mm round wires, one row on each side, took some soldering, partly due to a tendency to pile up and clump as the solder flowed and partly because they simply refuse to attach to the spine. Adding more solder merely cause it to pool in the spaces between the wires. Finally a thin metal backing helped to keep things in place.

Recently I wrote that the need for aggressive finishing was a sign of failure. Well this was my nemesis, because the use of gravers to improve all the faults gave me a sore thumb. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feather Brooch.jpg   Feather brooch pinned on.jpg  

Some very impressive soldering work there Dennis!

What a gorgeous feather Dennis! Did you leave the metal backing in place - can we see a view of the back please?
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

That's some impressive soldering Dennis - interesting to see your approach, I'd have grabbed gravers - probably powered - and saw and carved it rather than soldering. Different approaches to achieving the same thing...

Dennis,
    Great work, well detailed! And finally I see someone is using triangular wire. I have not seen any project with it in any book so far.

Thank you all for your comments:

Here is a picture of the reverse.
    As my graver skills are not great, I was pleased to have grooves to guide my gravers where needed.
    I use quite a bit of triangular wire as I think it's a little more special, but you really need a drawplate to make it. It also twists well, see my album (link below)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feather Brooch Reverse.jpg  

That's lovely Dennis. Do we get to see you in the jacket? I need to know if the colour suits you.

Ha, I can't wear anything with yellow, Carole. :-)

Thank you Dennis, I really like that, it's so neat and a perfect way to attach the brooch fitting.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

breathtaking.