Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marble cufflinks

Default Marble cufflinks

Hi there
    Just thought I would share these for comments. I made them as Christmas presents.

Didi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Jewellery 7476.jpg   2013 Jewellery 7215.jpg  

I like them and they're unusual too. I wear cuff links when dining somewhere nice and I'd wear them!

They're enviable Didi, so don't be surprised if it brings out a rash of copycats. ;-) Dennis.

I think they look brilliant - such a good idea!

Ha ha - not the kind of marble I was expecting! Nonetheless a great idea and a wonderful use put to what has been - at the end of the day - a time-enduring colourful and playful design. Wonderful.

Thanks for the kind comments. They were just a bit of fun, but I like the way the marbles can move in the rings and the mounting rings spin within the cradles. The original idea called for half marbles but sourcing them was beyond me. I documented the making on my blog. Anyone know how to cut a marble in half?
    Didi

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

You have a great blog Didi, love the tutorials and the results.

A diamond saw would cut through glass, in theory, I imagine.

Yep - just started to read the blog, brilliant, really inspiring, please keep it up.

Delightful cufflinks, Didi! I'm not surprised they were well received. Great documentation of the process your blog, too Not sure what you used to hold everything together whilst setting but would polymorph or something similar prevent the next time taking 'HOURS!'?
    Indi

Thanks so much for the comments. The blog was my son's idea and I must admit it's quite fun to do. The (very) few commissions I've made I have posted the progress as I went along as a bit of 'added value'.
    Indi, I like your thinking - I just used fingers to hold it together! I tried polymorph but any pressure on the side of a marble and it just pings out or gracefully twiddles round. I think it would work if you could get more than 1/2 the marble in the polymorph.
    Wallace, I think a diamond saw would do my fingers quite neatly as well. Do you think a marble could be ground down?
    Didi