Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I’ve made A Bell, But Will It Jingle?

Default I’ve made A Bell, But Will It Jingle?

I suppose you’ve all forgotten the great bell project, prompted by Carole’s post, last month:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5503

Well here is my effort, but I used brass, not silver, starting with two disks 1.8mm in diameter and 0.4mm thick. My doming plate, unlike the cubes, makes perfect hemispheres and being of hardened steel, it will also act as a filing block to finish the edges.

To one dome, I added a jump ring. The holes in the other were 2.3mm in diameter, joined by a slot 1.3mm wide.

The halves were connected with a 2.5mm strip of the same material formed into a ring. This was first soldered onto one part, supported by the very useful hole in my soldering block. The other half was then easily added. Enclosed was a 4.0mm ball made from melted wire.

Does it jingle? Well sort of, but rather quietly. There are many variables which might improve it: the choice of metal, a more squat shape, the size of the slot and holes, and possibly the ball, although I was able to test for the best ball size before the final soldering.

I remain convinced that if it could be cold connected, as are the commercially made ones, the sound would be brighter. When the domed haves were dropped separately onto a hard surface there was a distinct ringing sound. After soldering, it was more of a dull thud. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1bl Making The Halves.jpg   2bl Soldering The Rim.jpg   3bl The Halves Complete.jpg   4bl The Bell.jpg  

very cool! would tumbling it to harden it a little help improve the sound? Also, are perfect spheres hard to make with the cubes? I had no idea there was a difference.

Hi There, just thinking the same myself. Tumbling to harden and what's the difference between a block and a plate?
    Didi

Not sure about tumbling, but sods law says it will fill with shot if you do.

The cube shaped doming doming blocks, generally have shallower depressions, so if you wish to make hemispheres you have to work on the sides until you succeed-- a bit more challenging. Dennis.

I like it Dennis
    I'd go ahead and tumble - you can always pull the shot out with a strong magnet if it ends up inside.

I really like that Dennis I might try a few on a bracelet for my grand daughter, would a piece of round shot inside help the ring at all instead of the balled wire ?
    Where did you get the doming plate if you don't mind me asking ?

DONNIE

Love it Dennis. I never did get around to making one myself.

Thanks for sharing Dennis. I really did intend to make one - I had a lovely baroque design in my head, but I just have no time to do fun and experimental things at the moment.

I'm assuming that if you used a steel ball for the ringer instead of balled silver wire, you'd run into hallmarking issues if you wanted to sell them?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I'd go ahead and tumble - you can always pull the shot out with a strong magnet if it ends up inside.
    Since you say so, George, It's in the tumbler for the night. Still, I'm deaf to high frequencies, so I might not hear it any better tomorrow. ;-) Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    I really like that Dennis I might try a few on a bracelet for my grand daughter, would a piece of round shot inside help the ring at all instead of the balled wire ?Where did you get the doming plate if you don't mind me asking ?DONNIE
    For the ball, I did not experiment further, Donnie. As for the doming thing, I use the word 'plate' to distinguish it from the more common cubes, but both Walshes and Sutton tools have their versions and call them blocks. Unfortunately you would have to see them for real to judge whether they were deep enough.

Mine I brought home a long time ago, from Inhorgenta, an annual jewellery show in Munich. It caused some consternation, when security found it in my hand luggage on the way home. They went into a huddle before grudgingly letting me through. Dennis.