Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Achieving a high mirror finish

Default Achieving a high mirror finish

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with how to achieve a mirror finish (minus scratches) on sterling silver. I have got a dremel-type set which has polishing mops and I've bought 3 grades of the radial polishers to use with this. I've also got tripoli and rouge but so far haven't managed to achieve the finish I want to. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ivy

I seem to be replying to my own question, but I've just searched through the questions and found a similar thread from Nick. I will take on board all that has been said to him. I am a newbie so please forgive......

Ivy

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I seem to be replying to my own question, but I've just searched through the questions and found a similar thread from Nick. I will take on board all that has been said to him. I am a newbie so please forgive......Ivy
    It all depends on the kind of thing you are trying to polish, Ivy. So if in doubt, tell us or let us see what you are making. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis,
    I'm making a small teddy bear out of sterling silver sheet. It hasn't got anything soldered on it (yet) but I still don't seem to be able to remove the tiny scratches. Reading the comments made to Nick, is a tumbler the only option?
    Ivy

Hi Ivy,

Following all the interesting and useful advice I received, I decided to go with the traditional method of polishing silver. IE using Tripoli as a pre-polish, followed by rouge for the final polish.

So far it's working a treat, although I need to be mindful and on the lookout for fire-scale as always. I'm also switching over to reflections silver to see if that helps any.

In the end I decided against using a tumbler device, because it seems too brutal to me and it doesn't selectively burnish finer areas of jewellery. It just hammers everywhere.

Nick

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I recently tried FM solution and found it better than Prips for reducing fire scale as it doesn't crystallise. (I was reminded that the recipe for FM is in Sarah Macrae's book - designing jewellery page 25).

Argotect has been very successful too, but the powders settle too quickly and it is a pain trying to mix everything.

Tumbling is excellent at getting into the little areas if you use smaller bearings in your mix and brings an amazing shine. I read on Martinus Gold, about Cold polishing seeming to be a key in the fire scale dramas.
    Last edited by Wallace; 27-01-2014 at 11:17 AM.

I don't know if it was covered in the other thread, but micro mesh is good at getting out scratches if you work your way diligently though the grades. It takes a bit of time, but it's good for the soul! I also use roll sanders (available from Cooksons) in various grades, which I couldn't live without and which certainly speed things up. You still have to polish though, which I do with a polishing motor. The best polish, I think is Menzerna (from Suttons) as it does a really good job with much less mess than rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I recently tried FM solution and found it better than Prips for reducing fire scale as it doesn't crystallise.
    What's FM solution, please?

Let us know how you get on, Ivy and don't despair. Doesn't a 'proper' polishing course take 7 years or so? I could also do with more polishing experience and although I have a bench grinder converted to a polisher, it scares me to use it.
    Indi

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by surfergirl View Post
    What's FM solution, please?
    it is a flux coating for metals.

The Weirdly Wonderful Isle and Royal Manor of Portland

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I don't know if it was covered in the other thread, but micro mesh is good at getting out scratches if you work your way diligently though the grades. It takes a bit of time, but it's good for the soul! I also use roll sanders (available from Cooksons) in various grades, which I couldn't live without and which certainly speed things up. You still have to polish though, which I do with a polishing motor. The best polish, I think is Menzerna (from Suttons) as it does a really good job with much less mess than rouge.
    I don't know if this is what Carole uses http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2808758518...84.m1439.l2649 but I can certainly recommend them ... you can also wash and re-use them a couple of times too. I would also recommend the Menzerna too, it lasts forever, I just use the IP and SF and find that is more than enough to achieve a FAB shine.