Thread: Cutting sheet metal

Default Cutting sheet metal

I wonder if some of you knowledgeable folk could give me some pointers with regards cutting sheet metal. I've searched the forum but it started to make my head hurt! Could someone tell me the basic tools/equipment I'd need, please? I have no idea about saw blades etc. I want to eventually cut bespoke shapes from silver sheet but thought it may be best to practice with aluminium first? Any tips, advice etc would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Edited to add - I'll be looking at cutting sheet of around 1.5-2mm thick.
    Last edited by DaisyDaisy; 23-01-2014 at 08:06 AM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Daisy,
    A saw frame with either a 0 or 2/0 blade should work. You can use any sort of wax or light oil to keep it lubricated.

There are a lot of very proficient and experienced people here who could give you a lot of information on the subject, this is just a starting point for you.

1mm is a good average to work with
    Last edited by Wallace; 23-01-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Typo, thanks to ipad-doh!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
    I wonder if some of you knowledgeable folk could give me some pointers with regards cutting sheet metal. I've searched the forum but it started to make my head hurt! Could someone tell me the basic tools/equipment I'd need, please? I have no idea about saw blades etc. I want to eventually cut bespoke shapes from silver sheet but thought it may be best to practice with aluminium first? Any tips, advice etc would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Edited to add - I'll be looking at cutting sheet of around 1.5-2mm thick.
    Hi Daisy,
    Most people that want to practice a design before making it in silver usually use copper. 1.5-2mm thick is quite thick though, perhaps its worth practicing with thinner sheet till you've got the knack of it and move onto the thicker sheet later...?
    Jules

Hi and thank you both for the replies.

I'll maybe go for copper to practice on, then. Ah, I should've been a bit clearer....I want to eventually work up to cutting silver sheet of that thickness so will practice on thinner until I know what I'm doing Thanks for the advice, though, much appreciated.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Good luck. Just be mindful that the copper will dull your blades. Thicker silver, will still need larger graded blades. Copper is harder to cut through than silver, it is a 'sticky' metal and clogs up the blades more quickly.

Get some good blades too, lower grade ones will break more quickly and it will become frustrating.
    Last edited by Wallace; 23-01-2014 at 09:53 AM.

When you start piercing don't be tempted to push the saw blade forward, remember that the blade cuts on the downstroke. Make sure that your bench peg is secure and does not move as a stable bench pin aids accurate saw piercing. If you are right handed try and cut from right to left, so that you can see where the saw is going. I lubricate my saw blades by rubbing a wax candle down the back of the blade now and then. 1mm. thickness is a good size metal to start practicing on. Get a range of blade sizes, 4-0, 2-0 & 0 are a good selection to start with. I started to learn by piercing monograms.
    Good luck, I am sure that once you have started you will love piercing, as I do.

James

Thank you all very much for your replies....the advice is very helpful and much appreciated.

I use what I think are size 2 blades for the 1.7mm wire that I cut slots out of. I say I think that's the size because I bought a whole stack of them a couple of years ago and that's all I use at the moment. I find it really hard going not least because I'm cutting slots out of the end of wire which is around 13 -17 inches long. something always gets in the way! But yeah lube , lube and more lube.