Thread: Silversmithing - Raising / sinking / planishing etc

Default Silversmithing - Raising / sinking / planishing etc

Hi all,

Can anyone here reccommend me a comprehensive yet easy to follow book on starting along the road of Silversmithing? Or even better a set of tutorial DVD's?

I'm enjoying what I'm currently learning, but I'm always seeking to gain more experience with different projects so that it broadens the range of products that I can make / sell, keeps it all interesting to myself, and because I find it all extremely interesting and satisfying to be honest.

One of the projects Id like to embark upon would be making a silver bowl. I know that I'll need a variety of hammers ( some of which I already have ) and some equipment such as stakes and anvils, but I'd rather learn how to do this properly instead of simply relying upon YouTube videos!

By the way, is something such as the 'planishing set' from Durston suitable for this kind of work?

Thank you as always,

Nick

Feingold & Seitz on the book front; the Christopher Lawrence DVD from Goldsmiths http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/libra...terclass-dvds/
    As for the bowl - you can sink one or raise it, the former requires less tooling (but both really need an appropriate planishing stake).

For sinking a bowl, all you really need on the hammers front is a domed hammer and a planishing hammer.

Don't know the size of the Durston stakes yet, sorry!

Brilliant - Thanks as always Peter, I shall look into your suggestions as soon as I get the chance.

Nick

[QUOTE

Don't know the size of the Durston stakes yet, sorry![/QUOTE]

I'll get back on to that Peter and will try and get hold of the rep this time. Matthew Durston has so far sent me the wrong details 3 times and then said I'll be on holiday until the 6th Jan can it wait until then? I'm still waiting!!

Matthew Durston tells me that the dimensions of the new domed planishing set will be on their website shortly and he will also email the information. I emailed and asked for contact by a rep but don't seem able to get past him and this has been dragging out for several weeks now. We'll see!!

You could have a look at Andrew Berry's "At The Bench" online. Not sure if it's what you're looking, but it's keeping me busy if I ever want to try something new

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Matthew Durston tells me that the dimensions of the new domed planishing set will be on their website shortly and he will also email the information. I emailed and asked for contact by a rep but don't seem able to get past him and this has been dragging out for several weeks now. We'll see!!
    Given past response times, perhaps we shouldn't hold our breath...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    You could have a look at Andrew Berry's "At The Bench" online. Not sure if it's what you're looking, but it's keeping me busy if I ever want to try something new
    I just had a quick skim, Lucie - if you've got a link to anything on raising or sinking there it'd be much appreciated. Not sure how much of the larger pieces Andrew does?