Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: soldering rose gold...

Dennis,

that is the conclusion I cam to. I had a go with silver paste ages ago before I taught myself to solder properly and I like using wire/panel for that better so I am going to give it a go with yellow gold over the weekend and see how I get on. I also ordered some auflux but forgot the dropper bottle. So Ido appear to using my instincts in the right way! Thank you again,

Sarah

Hi,

Thank you!

only a very tiny bit just now... I am hoping to make a test ring in the next few days so just enough to solder the joint on 2mm square wire ring so you will know better than me :-)

Total novice with gold and a bit of a novice with soldering so if you here 'swearing' coming from here you know I am making expensive mistakes!

Sarah

wow that is scary hot...

Rob,

thank you! I am showing my novice side now aren't I??

Sarah

Hi Sarah,
    When soldering 18ct rose/red gold using either yellow or rose/red solder beware of flux depletion. This is when the flux goes black and stops working as a flux. It's best to use a specific high temperature flux; I use Tenacity 125 from Jonson Matthey. I'm sure Cookson sell it. I can let you have a couple of spoons of it if you would like to try it, but I'm not sure about sending white powder through the post. I might get a knock on the door!
    Adam

Sarah, may I ask what type of soldering torch you are using? as Dennis said most gold solders worth using have much higher melting temperatures than silver solders. I use an Oxy- Propane torch and a plain old Borax cone for my fluxing. I have worked in all colours and carats of golds using Borax as the flux, never had any problems with using Borax so didn't see the need to change.

James

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Oooh, you are an Angel I need enough for four joins on wide shank ring. Would that be okay, pm for some dosh xx thank you G. . Love and hugs xxx

Adam,

I haven't started yet, just advice gathering... I am going to start on 9ct gold in case I muck it up! Both yellow and rose. Thank you for the offer, I will deff bear that in mind odd knocks on the door not withstanding.....

Sarah

James,

I am just starting with research. the torch i use for soldering the silver is the little proxon torch Cookson sell,I don't really have the money or safe environment (i.e. I work in my front room!) to use a bigger tank type torch...

Sarah.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    James,I am just starting with research. the torch i use for soldering the silver is the little proxon torch Cookson sell,I don't really have the money or safe environment (i.e. I work in my front room!) to use a bigger tank type torch...Sarah.
    Sarah, I sympathise, but it is most likely that you will struggle to solder, once the size of your ring or other piece builds up by adding a setting for a stone for instance. Then your little Proxxon just wont deliver the heat you need.

Safety can be improved by improvising a better soldering station from a large roasting tin, or even a cheap barbequeue base which sometimes comes with a raised back.

There are also larger and hotter hand held torches, which need not break the bank. This has been discussed here over and over, so you might like to read a past thread:http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...=What+torch%3F.

Something which is not generally recognised, and I fear a self respecting professional would rather die than improvise, is that if you have another (possibly larger) hand held torch as well as your Proxxon, you can also achieve wonders by raising the background temperature of a large piece with the one and home in with the other to make the solder flow. Dennis.