Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: soldering rose gold...

Default soldering rose gold...

I am a total newbie to working with gold full stop but would like to make a set of rings.

Do you have to use rose gold solder on rose gold (very expensive option!) or can you get away with yellow gold?

also can you answer another little question re gold? What is DF gold and how does it differ from 'normal' gold?

Thank you!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,
    You can certainly use yellow gold of the same carat and how much it shows depends mostly on the neatness of your join. The curse is that it will show more to you because your conscience will prompt you, and hardly at all to anyone else.

As you say a set of rings, It sounds as if you might be making a Russian wedding ring, or stacking rings, in which case there will be enough reflections from other colours to hide it even more.

I've no idea what DF gold is, unless it is this: http://www.dfgoldsmith.com/,

or this : http://www.flickr.com/photos/42085750@N00/11139321085/

Regards, Dennis.

Dennis,

Another night owl like me!?

Thank you so much for that, yes it is a little stack as a practice run prior to a potential commission... I will try with 9ct yellow first and see how I get on I think, save a little bit. I can only find red solder as a paste or large sheet and at nearly £40 a bit much if I don't need to.

For a relative novice would you recommend paste for the yellow gold anyway or solder wire?

With regard to the GF thing it was just that a few of the Cookson gold wires had that in their description... Hmmm

Many thanks again for a v helpful answer!

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Sarah,

I have some red solder at 9ct. I am away until Monday, but pm if you wanted to buy a small bit from me.

I am chomping at the bit for 18ct White. Cannot find a small bit anywhere. Nope, not even Betts Metals.

Kindest Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    For a relative novice would you recommend paste for the yellow gold anyway or solder wire? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paste solder looks inviting, particularly for beginners, but it is easily over-heated before it begins to flow and your joint will be full of cinders.

I would recommend a snip of panel, or wire solder, probably medium for 9ct and some Auflux/Auroflux. A charcoal block is suggested but not essential.

The Auflux is also handy for silver, as it expands (flowers) less and is easy to dispense from a dropper bottle. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Hi Sarah,

I have some red solder at 9ct. I am away until Monday, but pm if you wanted to buy a small bit from me.

I am chomping at the bit for 18ct White. Cannot find a small bit anywhere. Nope, not even Betts Metals.

Kindest Wallace
    Sweetie - I have a full panel less about two snips. How much do you need?

Hi

DF in our descriptions simply refers to the particular alloy composition of that metal ie its formula

rgds Rob

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I have a full panel less about two snips. How much do you need?
    The high melting point is actually quite scary, about 100°C more than silver hard. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
    Hi

DF in our descriptions simply refers to the particular alloy composition of that metal ie its formula

rgds Rob

Thanks, Rob. Glad to hear it wasn't a camera after all. Dennis.

Wallace,

that is so kind of you! I am going to have a little try with so yellow gold this weekend hopefully but I think I probably will take you up on it as I am not sure my very newly (self taught) soldering skills are up to a good enough joint to use the yellow on a commission.

Hope you have a good weekend and I will be in touch to let you know how I get on!

Sarah