Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: soldering rose gold...

That's what I used to do Dennis before I got my super duper little torch.

A couple of days ago I soldered a pierced out .7mm strip onto a 18cm x 2cm by 1.65mm piece of silver to make a man's cuff. Took me a whole afternoon to get it to work with much swearing and cursing. I was using the rosebud (?) tip so was getting loads of heat but I just couldn't get the contact right. I tried all sorts of clamps, including the titanium ones and in the end I used abut 20 bits of binding wire and eventually it worked! I won't be making another! All good experience though.

Yes, when I was a boy on a farm, during WW2 it was my job to get the ducks into their shed at night, often in the rain. No sooner were they in, then one would waddle out again, followed by the others. I used to cry with rage.

This feeling comes over me now when using binding wire. Dennis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	5581Click image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	5580Dennis,

Thank you so much again. Really helpful thread. I have been using the Proxon because I mainly work on silver clay and started to solder to make cufflinks etc. with sterling silver. Then moved on to making mixed rings like the one (hopefully in the picture)I have been successful with that so far and graduated to bits like the narwhal bracelet although that fought back because of its size but the gold worried me as rather more expensive if I wreck it! The GoSystem is one I looked at a while back so will start with that and see how I get on although I got bogged down with the deferent models last time! If I get enough cash and space I will move on to an orca by the look of things!

Sarah
    Last edited by Oberon; 18-01-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Really like that whale cuff Sarah.

Agree. It is lovely!

Yes, I like the whale and its silky finish. The ring looks very Mexican, like all the things they have for the Day of the Dead. I hope I shan't bore every one then, if I append notes for the hand held torch:

1. Try to get a self lighting one.

2. When they are full they tend to flare sometimes if tipped. This is overcome by keeping the flame smaller initially and soon gets better once some gas is used up.

3. Although not approved by the makers, it is possible to partly close the air holes with a home made metal clip, to get a more bushy(softer) flame when required. This is loose enough to slide along the burner.

Mine is the Campingas version, because that is my nearest supplier. The picture shows one, with its brass clip. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg  

Thank you, glad you like the narwhal, I was really pleased with him!

I try and do things a bit different with silver clay and love it but I am really enjoying learning how to work with 'proper' metals so to speak. I have also been asked to make balls recently so have got my doming punches and disc cutters, get ridiculously excited about the oddest things now :-). The life of making jewellery!

Sarah

Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	5585

Hoping this is the right one :-), hubby got it for me...

I have one of those, and I can't get it stop flaring :-S
    I use this one, unless I'm doing bezels, chain etc then use m'small one.
    I've not had problems soldering gold, but have yet to do 18ct white, do you think temp would be an issue Dennis?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	5585Hoping this is the right one :-), hubby got it for me...
    Yes, that's a good one Sarah. Hope you get to like it.

As you will have read in past threads, many members view it as just a temporary expedient, until they can afford better.

But though I get to use other systems on my day away at a college, I have never progressed from these. And to be honest, I often do tricky jobs at home by choice. Dennis.