Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall marking

Default Hall marking

Do I have to hallmark the gold rings I sell? And if I want to how do I go snout it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

That's funny #snout ment about

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post
    Do I have to hallmark the gold rings I sell? And if I want to how do I go snout it?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mmm you are having us on I'm sure, so here's some late night reading for you: http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/welco...ful-downloads/

Actually I'm am serious, I've been buying blank silver rings with open pin setting and pressing cheap stones into then, and subsequently sold a few. I now want to do that with gold but can only get un marked blanks.
    So thanks for the reply.

Using Tapatalk

If you're making them Michael, then yes; if they're all antique/vintage ones then they should be hallmarked already if they're manufactured after 1950 - if they're from before then they can be sold unhallmarked if you can prove the fineness and the manufacture date. Proving the former isn't difficult; the latter slightly more so.

Source - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ance-notes.pdf (bottom of p2)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post
    Actually I'm am serious, I've been buying blank silver rings with open pin setting and pressing cheap stones into then, and subsequently sold a few. I now want to do that with gold but can only get un marked blanks.
    Well, that's less complex then - yes, you need to be registered with an assay office, then send them the pieces for hallmarking.

Ok thanks,
    I have been selling vintage which as you say is hallmarked. so now I will be making a few I will have them Hallmarked, which is fine by me. Is it a legal requirement? Or would it be acceptable to use a punch to mark 9ct on ring?

I do of course wish to comply with best practice, but are exploring all the alternatives.

Using Tapatalk

I have now read the links and phoned the Assay office.

Will be revere registering

Thanks all

Using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you're all sorted out. If you need any further help or advice then just ask

Hi Michael,

Sorry to have started on the wrong foot, but we do get the occasional mickey taker. It occurred to me that if you have been using silver blanks they are normally only stamped 925 . This is not acceptable and they will still need to be hallmarked. The same holds for gold: '9ct' will not do. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 16-01-2014 at 10:10 AM.