Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pregnancy & health & safety

Yep, I use a cartridge based respirator, but then, I spend half my life sanding down huge quantities of plaster, marble & metal powders.
    I do most of my work outside if at all possible & am usually found head to toe in a tyvek suit & goggles.
    Jewellery work is a little more restrained, but I still wear the mask!

Which dust extraction unit were you looking st?

A home-built... The cabinet for the polisher is currently plywood, with the intention of maybe welding a more robust one later on. Was considering powering it off a chip extractor & using cooker hood charcoal filters - although it has to be said that by the time I've put it all together a "proper" polisher with extraction is probably more cost-effective.

My husband did mention making one, but then he did promise to make me a vacuum chamber about 2 years ago & I'm still waiting, so I'll probably end up with something from Sutton's.

Interested to know what you make Lucie.

The sculpture work is mostly large life casts, so I have lots random body parts lying around.
    I'm guessing it would terrify anyone who ever broke in & goodness knows what the kids go into school saying! - The more intimate pieces are well hidden away from little eyes.
    The jewellery is all personalised stuff - off the back of my lifecasting business. Mostly cast gold.
    I'm using my maternity leave to get my terrible product photos sorted, so I can get the websites up and running again. Just have to figure out how to use my camera

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    3. Tripoli/rouge - I was slightly freaked out when I ordered a Foredom drill from the US & it came with a pot of rouge powder which said "may cause birth defects" on it!
    I got the same stuff, but if you read the full label, it says you have to live in California.

/joke

I guess good ventilation and lung protection via dust masks/respirators you should be ok. I'm not keen on the fumes given off by borax flux but don't know if they are dangerous, I suspect they are and you can replace the barrelling compound with washing up liquid.

My pickle is often cold because I keep forgetting to turn it on (and then sometimes off) and it works fine, just takes longer. But don't put hot stuff in it because it releases a lot of fumes. I dunk in water and then into pickle.

Thanks everyone for your help & suggestions! I will investigate alum & I didn't know I could just use washing up liquid in my tumbler (would have just done that in the first place if I'd known).

Lucie - thanks so much for your comments, it's really reassuring to hear from someone who's pregnant & makes jewellery! Congratulations & good luck for Friday!

x

Hellooo...

I'm a newbie here...just wondering if I should get some sort of fume extractor as I currently have to work on My kitchen table..I dont use rouge but just thinking about soldering fumes.... what do most people do?...Can you recommend one to buy in Uk, rather than US??

Thanks..
    SJ

It's not ideal to work in your kitchen, as it risks contaminating food. If you possibly can, do the dirty stuff like soldering and heavy polishing elsewhere.