Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keum Boo

Default Keum Boo

Have decided to try Keum Boo but as the price of a sheet is so expensive wondered about rolling down a small piece of 24ct wire to experiment with. Has anyone done this? Unable to compare cost of wire versus sheet because the description for a 3.5 x 3.5 sheet on Cookies gives it as 2.5 microns and no weight. I am sure there is someone out there who knows exactly how to work it out!
    Theresa

:-) I just ordered some and a hotplate after giving up trying to work out if I'd be saving any money!

Just been having another look and see gold foil 855 001 but it says 'not transfer, plain, needs to be picked up & placed'. What on earth do they mean?

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Have decided to try Keum Boo but as the price of a sheet is so expensive wondered about rolling down a small piece of 24ct wire to experiment with. Has anyone done this? Unable to compare cost of wire versus sheet because the description for a 3.5 x 3.5 sheet on Cookies gives it as 2.5 microns and no weight. I am sure there is someone out there who knows exactly how to work it out!
    Yup; there's an article on Ganoksin that briefly mentions rolling it. I ended up with a foil a bit thicker than the commercial stuff; it adheres fine and it's a bit more resilient in polishing than the thinner foil. But it costs more - in time and in materials. 35x35x0.0025 gives 3.0625mm3, so 0.00030625cm3; density 19.3gcm-3 -> 0.059g.

My experiments with this, after a tutorial at college, gave results which were too subtle and fragile for the work involved. So I resorted to making material from very thin 18ct wires, soldered onto silver sheet with tiny crumbs of solder and then rolled flat.

For me that gave more positive results and value for the time spent. Here is some, which I have shown before:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gold With Silver.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Yup; there's an article on Ganoksin that briefly mentions rolling it. I ended up with a foil a bit thicker than the commercial stuff; it adheres fine and it's a bit more resilient in polishing than the thinner foil. But it costs more - in time and in materials. 35x35x0.0025 gives 3.0625mm3, so 0.00030625cm3; density 19.3gcm-3 -> 0.059g.
    Are you confusing your units here Peter?89 x 89 x 0.0025 gives 19.8mm3 so 0.00198cm3 ?
    Also should yours be 0.0059g? - but maths is not my strong point.

Insufficient coffee error, probably. The sheets are 3.5 *inches* aren't they!? As opposed to 35mm, which is what I was working from...
    Similarly, the conversion from mm3 to cm3 was a typo.

OK, so no calculating stuff for me before 3 coffees
    (nor after!)

Try for 0.38g?
    Last edited by ps_bond; 13-01-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    My experiments with this, after a tutorial at college, gave results which were too subtle and fragile for the work involved. So I resorted to making material from very thin 18ct wires, soldered onto silver sheet with tiny crumbs of solder and then rolled flat.

For me that gave more positive results and value for the time spent. Here is some, which I have shown before:
    Nice work Dennis, but for this particular application I can't use it as the cuff is already formed and patterned.

Hope to have first results by the end of the week. Fingers crossed...

Well have just ordered the foil this is quite exciting I have my old iron baseplate for the hob so don't need the expense of a hot plate. Have got 4 spoons on the go so on a roll long may it last!