Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keum Boo

I got a hotplate on amazon for £14 - the only thing I'm waiting on (which I forgot!) is heat proof gloves to arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I got a hotplate on amazon for £14 - the only thing I'm waiting on (which I forgot!) is heat proof gloves to arrive!
    That's good to know Lydia if mine turns out to be too small

Some people use an upturned iron held in a vice. They usually have more choice of settings. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Some people use an upturned iron held in a vice. They usually have more choice of settings. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis that's always another option, I think we have a spare in the cupboard. I thought I'd be able to regulate my old iron plate on the gas hob but I guess it'll be finding out the hard way. My saw blade was definitely at a pinging tension today as it bounced off the edge of the silver across the end of my thumb, such a fine cut if I say so myself !!

At least you didn't end up in A&E like my daughter did a few weeks ago. It snapped and ended up in her thumb, and of course because it has teeth it wouldn't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    At least you didn't end up in A&E like my daughter did a few weeks ago. It snapped and ended up in her thumb, and of course because it has teeth it wouldn't come out.
    Ouch! It's been so many months since I have been able to be in the workshop my hands are too bloomin soft.I once put a sewing machine needle through my thumb nail and my dad had to deal with it, a pair of pliers et voila

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Yup; there's an article on Ganoksin that briefly mentions rolling it. I ended up with a foil a bit thicker than the commercial stuff; it adheres fine and it's a bit more resilient in polishing than the thinner foil. But it costs more - in time and in materials. 35x35x0.0025 gives 3.0625mm3, so 0.00030625cm3; density 19.3gcm-3 -> 0.059g.
    I get how it costs in terms of time, but wouldn't rolling your own down be cheaper because the finer something is rolled, the more expensive it seems to be? I mean if fine gold wire is £28 per gram, grain is even cheaper and the ready made foil is twice the price for half the amount….

Or is my maths more rubbish that most people already think?

You're right Liz, the more manufacturing/processing that is required, the higher the cost, for instance tube tends to be at the higher end, this is often forgotten when looking at the metal prices, hence the difference between the silver/gold price and the sheet/tube/wire that we buy.

I think that grain is different, re VAT pre-processing and what it needs mixing/alloying with?? But I'm sure others will be able to add more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    You're right Liz, the more manufacturing/processing that is required, the higher the cost, for instance tube tends to be at the higher end, this is often forgotten when looking at the metal prices, hence the difference between the silver/gold price and the sheet/tube/wire that we buy.

I think that grain is different, re VAT pre-processing and what it needs mixing/alloying with?? But I'm sure others will be able to add more!!
    my thinking was that you could just buy a few grams of 24ct grain, melt it into little ingots and then roll super thin for keum boo or maybe even just roll the grain as is?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    my thinking was that you could just buy a few grams of 24ct grain, melt it into little ingots and then roll super thin for keum boo or maybe even just roll the grain as is?
    Rolling grains sounds a good idea if you want it to be as abstract as I do. I received my 1 sheet!! of foil today don't know what I expected for £59 but my oh nearly stopped breathing when I told him I had better mke a good job of this