Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tools

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Without seeming rude, if I was trained as a bench trained jeweller I wouldn't be asking. Like I have mentioned lots of times before, two hours once a week in a local college for 10 weeks doesn't teach you much. The rest you learn from other sources, and in my case its you guys.
    One of the problems is that college tutors are often college trained themselves and struggle with techniques. That is why we must treasure our bench trained members and make sure they are well supplied with tea and biscuits. D.

I quite agree. My guess is that she knew how to solder and that was about it. We weren't told anything about hallmarking, or anything about tools, thought it all had to be done by hand. Seriously now, the amount I have learned by coming onto this forum is enormous and I am really grateful for all your help and I am sorry to keep asking what must be to you as. "silly questions", but with the vast experience you all have, I would be stupid not to take advantage of it, after all the best way to learn is. "ask".

Then there are those of us who did a 4 yr degree course in a respected Art College taught by old fashioned highly qualified silversmiths , jewellers and engravers. We were taught to make everything by hand even tubing, may I never have to make it again! We were spoilt for choice with tools and equipment and we had a technician who was a master on a lathe, I just wish I had mastered it myself and my wee bench lathe wouldn't be sitting up the attic waiting on me not to be scared of it.

I worry about what were once technical colleges and what they are teaching people on their jewellery courses, I met a group of middle aged women at a Marcia Lanyon visit up here last year and they had a very high opinion of themselves
    We all have the yearning to keep on learning new skills and bettering what we know or I don't suppose these forums would exist. They feed our creativity and bankrupt us in the rush to get the latest bit of kit that someone has been singing the praises of )

Yes but at least you learned the proper way to do things. For me it is only a hobby, as I have retired, but I can boast that everything on my craft fair stall every month (apart from the thin chains and clasps) is hand made be me. Of course I struggle with doing some of the more complex things, not sure if it's fumble fingers or the lack of an eye, but at least if you know what it is supposed to look like you can have a go. There isn't much that defeats me, but some things get changed into another design half way through.

My assistant, Danielle did a degree but says she's learned so much since as the emphasis was all on theory and design, with not much hands on work. She's marvelled at all my labour saving tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I am sorry to keep asking what must be to you as. "silly questions"
    You need never apologise for asking questions, Pat. We all enjoy posting our answers, and without questions this forum would be a dead duck.

It also gives a platform for our personal rants, and letting off a bit of steam. Dennis.

I would bring that lathe down from the attic and maybe get some help to get started Caroline. I have found my one so helpful, I make loads of tools, punches and dies, a small press to extrude collets/bezels, I even made a rolling mill, which works fine reducing small ingots to 0.5mm sheet. If I could help in any way with my experience of turning I would be happy to do so.
    DONNIE

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

I was telling my husband how valuable this place is. I've had just over a term of a silversmithing city & guilds (my tutor kindly sent in my course work anyway which was considered enough to get me the qualification) 10 years ago. Had no more experience until I decided to practice myself in 2009. I have so far to go, but the advice here means you can side-step an awful lot of potholes by taking advice from folk who have been there and done that!

That's so true Lydia. I've saved myself so much unnecessary hassle by asking questions on here.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    My assistant, Danielle did a degree but says she's learned so much since as the emphasis was all on theory and design, with not much hands on work. She's marvelled at all my labour saving tools.
    I can imagine that will be true Carole. I did mine in the 70s and it was run like a vary strict workshop, 9 to 4 every day, no flexibilty like other departments and yes we had one day of design drawing and natural form but the rest was at the bench. The design drawing was to enable us to enter the Johnson Matthey and other suchlike awards which are important to the colleges. Drawing is something I never to now because it was enforced!
    Now much of what they produce on degree courses is made by machine and hand skills aren't being taught as much. They don't even do ceramics in art colleges any more so that is another art form that is sadly not producing a new generation. I know many " Potters" of my generation who are saddened by this