Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tools

Default New tools

Can anyone tell me how to use one of these, I know what it's for, but no Instructions with it. Cookies website product code 999 250. Don't know how to post link.

here's the link
    I've never used one but my understanding is that it swages a parallel sided tube into a tapered collet, you make or buy the required size of tube and drop it in the appropriate hole and give it a few taps of the tapered punch and bob's your uncle. If you were being really fancy you could make the collet as a collet (truncated cone) and use the punch to smarten it up or adjust the size slightly. I suspect it's not as easy as I think. Probably other things you could use it for if you wanted to give them a taper.
    Last edited by trialuser; 13-01-2014 at 08:44 AM.

I thought I could make a cone shape with it, you would think the secret santa would bring instructions wouldn't you. Good idea to make tube pointy, could be useful if you needed a bigger tube. Thanks, cleared a mystery. I have another set that I use for making pointy circles for decoration but it's 32 deg and you can cut circles and then make them pointy but the angle isn't so acute. .

Actually, just read the description on the website, it says this
    "To use: place the collet into the appropriate hole, insert the punch and tap carefully with a hammer. Collets should be annealed and gradually stretched or reduced. hole size 5-14mm"
    So, more or less what I said :-)

This is a traditional collet plate for making round tapered collets from ordinary tubing. The advantage of tapered collets is that they are pretty to look at and will adapt to several diameters of stones with very little need to cut a bearer.

If you were a bench trained jeweller you would know how to use this, so why fuss with instructions?

Well my method is:
    Select a short length of annealed tube, a little smaller in diameter than the stone.
    Rest it on a flat part of the plate and only gently tap in the punch to start the taper.
    Then insert it into a hole for which it is only just too tall and use the punch and a light hammer to complete the job.
    You might need to change holes.
    It can wedge in the hole and need to be tapped out with a rod or nail from the back.
    Try in the stone and cut off unwanted surplus.
    You might prefer to cut a slight bearer with a burr or scorper.

You will waste some tubing until you learn better, but the secret is to be fairly gentle. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ring With Set CZ.jpg  

Without seeming rude, if I was trained as a bench trained jeweller I wouldn't be asking. Like I have mentioned lots of times before, two hours once a week in a local college for 10 weeks doesn't teach you much. The rest you learn from other sources, and in my case its you guys.

I'm pretty sure Dennis has written about the use of collet plates in the past.
    FWIW, a) I make up a tapered collet and then form it in the plate and b) there is a world of a difference between quality of the cheap ones and the more expensive plates.

Mine was from Cooksons £23+ vat. I don't want to pay too much as I am not sure if it will get used, if I find that I use it and the quality isn't up to much I will shell out for a better one. What sort of price for a. "good" one?

A good strategy for a lot of things. My oval one cost about £100 and the level of finish is way, way above the round one.

Found what I was looking for by Dennis - http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3522

While I applaud people for making their own settings, bought settings are so cheap that I wouldn't bother. When you have to make a living, fiddling around with a collet former would be too time consuming. I buy cone shaped collets from Cooksons and they're very reliable and are always a good fit.