Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New tools

Quote Originally Posted by donnie View Post
    I would bring that lathe down from the attic and maybe get some help to get started Caroline. I have found my one so helpful, I make loads of tools, punches and dies, a small press to extrude collets/bezels, I even made a rolling mill, which works fine reducing small ingots to 0.5mm sheet. If I could help in any way with my experience of turning I would be happy to do so.
    DONNIE

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

I know Donnie, I've had it for 30 years and I wouldn't be able to afford it now. It's only a bench lathe but it has a span of 5 ins so it would add another dimension to my work. Its now finding the space to put it between the Dustmaster and the rolling mill I'll think seriously about it once I get the OS over and may take you up on your kind offer

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    My assistant, Danielle did a degree but says she's learned so much since as the emphasis was all on theory and design, with not much hands on work. She's marvelled at all my labour saving tools.
    going back to the MoL exhibit discussed in the other thread, I was really surprised by two things. A couple of the jewellers were self taught (gives one hope!) and of the rest I think all but one either used CAD and/or outsourced their work to Hatton Garden and not just the casting but the fabrication, stone setting and even polishing.

I've been weighing up the odds of going back into the teaching I used to do in order to get fees paid to do the jewellery course at Truro, but I'm not actually sure how valuable it will really be. I think I'd be better off paying for bespoke teaching or short courses.

I'd go down the short course route every time Liz. That way you can learn exactly what you want to do from an expert in their field. I do something every year and I absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'd go down the short course route every time Liz. That way you can learn exactly what you want to do from an expert in their field. I do something every year and I absolutely love it.
    I'd still quite like to do the polishing course at BIAD - last year's education budget was given over to my jaunt to Utrecht. Having said that, this year's may be given over to tools instead...!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I'd still quite like to do the polishing course at BIAD - last year's education budget was given over to my jaunt to Utrecht. Having said that, this year's may be given over to tools instead...!
    Have you seen the Masterclass DVDs available from the Goldsmith's Company at £15 each, they have a good collection including one on polishing, see;
    http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/libra...terclass-dvds/

James

Ah... Hadn't seen the polishing one; I've got Christopher Lawrence's raising one and the content is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Ah... Hadn't seen the polishing one; I've got Christopher Lawrence's raising one and the content is very good.
    The guys who are on the polishing Masterclass DVD, Elliot & Fitzpatrick polished and finished most of my large table centre pieces, their work is superb. I also have the Chris Lawrence raising DVD and the diamond setting DVD.

James