Hi,

I have just purchased the cooksongold barreling kit, which comes with the tumbler, barrelbrite & mixed steel shot. I have put the steel shot in the barrel, with 1 teaspoon of barrelbrite & filled it half full with water... and my piece has come out DISASTROUSLY PITTED! Ruined and unusable is an understatement, it is almost like a stardust texture (Not even matte!) luckily 400 grit sandpaper gets it out.

I am wondering whether it is a fault with the kit, as the tumbler (Evans) with mixed steelshot & barrelbrite at my jewellery classes works on my pieces perfectly.

Am just wondering what I should I do about the tumbler, I have removed the pins and am still getting a sort of indented appearance to my silver, a huge improvement but still not 100%. The tumbler at my jewellery classes works perfectly on my pieces so I cannot work out why the one I have just purchased it making my silver finish so horrible.

I was thinking of buying smaller 2mm shot from elsewhere, to see if this will help. Should I return the barreling kit, and get a lortone 3A from palmers? Do you have any suggestions of where to purchase affordable shot of a better quality?

The piece on the left has been finished using sandpaper etc and the piece on the right has gone in the tumbler.

Thanks,
Hannah

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooksongoldtumbler.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	5547