Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must. Stop. Lurking.

Smile Must. Stop. Lurking.

Hi to everyone old and new

One of my things to do this year is to stop lurking and to try and contribute more to this community. I have felt that being self-taught and having no classroom experience whatsoever do not make me the best candidate for sharing what little I know.

I know that being self-taught doesn't mean someone is crap at what they do! so I hope no-one takes it that way. There are some extremely capable, talented and experienced self-taughters out there. I'm just speaking about my own experience and lack of confidence.

I've been a sporadic poster, much to my own dismay (but I'm sure I'm still welcome).

I'm now at the stage where I'm ready to sell pieces to the public (eek!) after much experimenting, practice and quality control and hope I can now at least share what knowledge I do have with everyone else.

Like many here I remain extremely grateful to the regular posters who give so much time to others - a big virtual HUGZ to you all.

This and the UKJC forums are ones I keep coming back to just because the people are so darn great! Lots of encouragement, talent and patience with no backstabbing or pretentiousness. Thank you. I love it!

Indi

Welcome back and good luck with the sales!

hey Indi, good to see you back posting.

Being self taught means that I sometimes lack confidence as well but it is growing. Looking forward to seeing what your output has been.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Good you got to a selling point, well done.

I am self taught, for the most part. I have had 8 days of tuition on stone setting (5 of them were using only gravers -culture shock)!

It can be very easy to just lurk. So often a question is answered promptly. But, we all chip in. Diversity of skill and mind, all help

Hi indi
    I'm quite new to this forum and I thought it would help to know that self confidence doesn't favour the trained either! I'm not sure it's how we have learnt that is the important part of gaining confidence. There are so many other factors that can shoot you down or lift you up. Getting to the selling point will be great boost for you so good luck and looking forward to seeing your work too

I had a character assassination from an alternative health professional that took me to rock bottom 2 weeks ago,then I was approached by a new wee gallery to show my work at the beginning of March, another offer to take a table but it was a political event for the referendum so that was a no. My point being it all came in the one week, I'm feeling sort of confident again that's the problem with being creative peeps we are always full of self doubt

Hi Indi,
    Good to see you around and posting!!
    I agree with Caroline, it's not necessarily the training route that builds your confidence and self-doubt seems to come with the territory!! I'm partly self trained and partly professionally trained, but most of my learning comes through practice practice practice, for which there is no alternative!!

Good luck with your sales!!
    Tabby xx

Thanks for the warm welcome back
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    that's the problem with being creative peeps we are always full of self doubt
    – too true! How many artists are never truly happy with their work despite it being praised by others?

I do feel that it doesn’t really matter whether taught professionally or self trained – the end result from either can be equally awful or fantastic – but then perceptions of other people start to come into play. I’m usually not bothered about what other people think of me – especially those that don’t know me, but I find it a harder sell to customers when putting myself up against those that have jewellery qualifications. But again, that’s just my perception of what other people might think.

If someone had a fantastic voice and sang a song that moved me to tears or took me to a place I hadn’t been in years, do I care whether they had had singing lessons or not? No.

Really, I should just focus on my own self development:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    but most of my learning comes through practice practice practice, for which there is no alternative!!
    exactly, Tabby!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    But, we all chip in. Diversity of skill and mind, all help
    thanks Wallace – you are right. I think many of us have a lot more to give than we think (to any given situation). A simple question, rant, or bit of cheeky banter can be a spring board to creativity – whether jewellery related or not xx

I have now suitably chastised myself (and given that Indi a slap).
    Indi

Your customers won't know whether you are trained or self taught, the quality of work will be all that is important and will shine through, that is definitely our self doubt and self worth coming through

Hi Indi,

Very exciting that you're ready to sell - wishing you the best of luck!

I too have been a bit too lurky recently and need to try and post more. I just never really feel I have enough skill in any particular thing to add advice to people!

Hi Indi, Thanks for posting this, I too have been guilty of lurking but not posting and it was helpful to feel i wasn't alone in the sin! Really must stop doing it. I have received so much help over the years on the forum I will definitely try and be a better friend to everyone this year.
    Happy New Rear, if slightly belated to everyone
    Didi