Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help please pave setting a stone

If you take up James' suggestion of a claw setting, which I think would look good in this case, all you have to do is:

1. Perfect your crater with a round burr until the girdle of the stone just fits. This can be done by hand using a pin vice to hold the burr.
    2. Make a cross out of thin wire ( 0.3 mm say).
    3. Bend the arms down to make a four legged spider. Adjust the length and position of the legs to surround the crater and stand with all the feet in contact.
    4. Solder in place and cut off the surplus, leaving four short claws to push over.

Notes on claws:
    Claws are easier to push home if they are left quite long. However they can be very ugly, so once set they are best cut shorter and filed flat on top. The can be shortened with a fine saw blade, but for this size a fresh snap off blade of a craft knife would work fine. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 31-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.

James great leaf tutorial, no i'd not already seen it, all tutorials are welcome even if i've seen similar :-)

Dennis thank you so much, that would also be do-able on this piece, could make very good use of that on future project too :-)

Just been looking on you-tube at gypsy setting and noticed the tutor/demonstrator didn't use a heart burr to cut in a groove but still did the flush setting, would that be as secure do you think as it would with the groove?
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

Hi Wallace, sorry I don't know what a side grain is, but imagine it's cutting in from the side? I'm probably wrong though arnt I lol

Hehehe! by the time i'd heated the bottom of the pendant (even from underneath) the wire claws had melted, the flame is obviously getting through the holes, or i'm a rubbish aim
    Will have to go for the flush setting me thinks, I'll get there eventually
    Thank you again :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Hehehe! by the time i'd heated the bottom of the pendant (even from underneath) the wire claws had melted.
    Don't despair Jackie. you have to learn about wire. Your flame was too big, or too fierce (you can close the air hole a little). You must gently heat the pendant and let the wire catch up by conduction.

To begin with you might even have more success with easy solder. Lastly work in semi darkness, so that you can see when the wire is glowing more than the pendant.

One thing is sure- you will get there if you persist. Dennis.

Cheers Dennis, thought I had done it to start with untill I turned it around and one of the claws had melted lol, will have another bash at it during the week, I am persistent if nothing else :-)