Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knew Saw

Default Knew Saw

Hi & Happy New Year to everyone.
    Does anyone have experience of a 'Knew Saw'?
    I need to buy a saw and wondered if they are worth paying the extra for.
    Thanks
    Theresa

You'll find opinions divided Theresa - I love mine and have four of them of various types, other forum members haven't got on with them at all.

Personally, I think they're worth it if you do a lot of piercing. I also think the quick release option is worth having, but for most jewellery work the swivel is not necessary.

I had never used a saw before so I jumped right in with a 5inch knew concept with the cam release (Useful for quick release when piercing) and I absolutely adore it!

I use all 3 of mine a lot; the 3" has been updated with a QR clamp, you've just reminded me to add one to the 5" (and new tension knobs while I'm at it). IMO, these are only really needed if you're doing a lot of blade changes - piercing settings on an eternity ring, for example. I do still use my other 3" saw frames (one has platinum blades in it most of the time) - though the 5" has been dormant a long time. There's been some foibles about clamping different thickness blades, but all you do is adjust the anvil to cope. Since I mostly use 4/0 blades in mine it's set for them and left alone.

I've not thought of a use for the swivels; if I need a longer cut, then I use a larger frame (it's the bigger frames where you really notice the low mass & rigidity, much more so than the 3") or I'll twist a blade so it cuts at 90 degrees. Similarly, I've not felt the need to go to the titanium frames for anything.

I despair of people proudly saying they tension the Knew Concept saws in the same way as traditional ones...

If you're lucky, Lee Marshall might get wind of this and post - he's been on here a few times in the past.

I also use them and I agree with George, go for the quick release tensioning lever models but not the swivel options as these ones were really made for the woodworking community. I find their light weight a blessing when piercing all day. The mid size 5 inch deep frame is a good all rounder.

http://knewconcepts.com/whichSaw.php

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 30-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks everyone. Unsure whether to buy the 3" or 5". I don't do much piercing, it's mostly for cutting sheet and wire. Can't afford 2 saws at the moment.

I rarely use mine as the tension has never been right and I really hate it. I couldn't saw a straight line with the bloomin thing and thought it was me then went back to my old 3 ins Eclipse and I saw beautifully. I'm told by Wallace there has been an update for my saw but it costs more money so haven't done anything about it. It just hangs there challenging me!!

If you'd like me to take a look at it, I'd be quite happy to.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    If you'd like me to take a look at it, I'd be quite happy to.
    Thanks Peter, it seems such a waste as it was a present from my OH and it's been on the wall for 2 years. If the blades don't tension then they come out or buckle. There has been discussion on the other forum about tightening small screws but there doesn't seem to be one to adjust

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Thanks everyone. Unsure whether to buy the 3" or 5". I don't do much piercing, it's mostly for cutting sheet and wire. Can't afford 2 saws at the moment.
    If you are cutting sheet Theresa, you need to think what size sheet you usually buy. For instance, cutting 10 cm of metal with a 3"(7½ cm) saw you will get stuck part of the way. It's roughly 2½ cm to the inch.

Dennis.