Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knew Saw

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

a little chip in from me, if you don't mind.

I think the older Knew concepts with the plastic screws were a problem. The blade would turn and the screws would not hold the finer blades successfully. I upgraded to the metal screws and the difference is very clear. The retainer for the blades is important to keep the blades where they are supposed to be. The metal screw blade holders work better and were a first replacement because of the wandering blades, I would hazard a guess at. There should be an upgrade kit that is free, in my view, having spent enough on the saw frame in the first place.

I love working with mine now. It is easier on the repetition needed to cut through the metal and for the strain on my neck, shoulders and elbow. I do have a very lightweight little ordinary saw, which is great for when I am doing lots of practice with piercing.

Upward and onward is mostly what I do, with the exception of tube cutting in a jig, then the life of the blade is always at risk! Upwards results in fewer injuries to my fingers! I cut with the item going forward as that is what I read that I should do. However, I have tried the going across and see how much sense it makes. I really enjoy using the Knew concepts, it has brought a wealth of direction to what I can do. Post sawing is much cleaner and, at times, very minimal if using the right blades. I use Valorbes and Shark as they both work with ease. I have noticed though, the Valorbe blunt more quickly than they used to.

I think you are right Wallace, I have the plastic screws and as the saw already cost a fortune if they were to offer me an upgrade free then I would have more favourable views. If you have to keep on tweaking a tool then surely it isn't really fit for purpose. When it works everyone seems to feel it works well but there are probably many of us who have just hung it up in disgust.

I am not sure if the KnewConcept saws were ever sold with plastic screws, the original design had steel screw threads with a plastic T heads, which I agree was not great, the new tension knob screws are the same steel threads fitted with a knurled round aluminium tightening head; http://knewconcepts.com/knobs.php

If anyone has any Knew saw frame problems, check out this page on the Knewconcepts website;http://knewconcepts.com/questions.php ,there is information on adjusting the blade tightening screws if they are not correctly aligned.

James

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Plastic Coating and such small heads were an issue. The t screw felt plastic, hence my reference to it in that way.

As and when you buy any pricey tool, you want it to work, without faffing about too much. Especially given that was the idea in the first place. My prob was resolved with upgrading. Never had any probs since. The original plastic coated head t-screws were a problem. Your buddy seems to have upgraded the area where there problem existed. Like I said, I use them and love them, but there was a teething problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    As and when you buy any pricey tool, you want it to work, without faffing about too much.
    Definitely!

The original plastic coated head t-screws were a problem.
    I think I must have got lucky with mine - which were amongst the earliest to reach the UK, I think (well before Tam started doing them).

They do inspire a very polarised attitude towards them!

When you are piercing a job like this for hours on end, you are grateful for a light weight saw frame. if your interested there were 10,260 holes to pierce out, that equates to over 20,500 times of releasing and tightening the saw blades. I got through 3 dozen 3/0 size saw blades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panels for 2 Blue base lampshades b.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	5531 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel for Blue base lamp.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	5532

James

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Plastic Coating and such small heads were an issue. The t screw felt plastic, hence my reference to it in that way.

As and when you buy any pricey tool, you want it to work, without faffing about too much. Especially given that was the idea in the first place. My prob was resolved with upgrading. Never had any probs since. The original plastic coated head t-screws were a problem. Your buddy seems to have upgraded the area where there problem existed. Like I said, I use them and love them, but there was a teething problem.
    I'm with Wallace. whether it's a wee job or a big one you would expect it to work without adjustment. My screws are plastic with one spur cut off because they thought it got in the way. I didn't know that until I contacted them to say I must have dropped it and broken one could I have a replacement and I was told oh it was cut off because..... sounds like we were maybe paying big money for a work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    When you are piercing a job like this for hours on end, you are grateful for a light weight saw frame. if your interested there were 10,260 holes to pierce out, that equates to over 20,500 times of releasing and tightening the saw blades. I got through 3 dozen 3/0 size saw blades.

Name:	Panels for 2 Blue base lampshades b.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	5531 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel for Blue base lamp.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	5532

James
    Can you imagine if you made a mistake towards the end of all that piercing? I salute your skill James!

I love my KC's, but I have to agree about the upgrade costs. I've just retrofitted one of mine with a lever and two more with metal screws and was disappointed with how much it cost, particularly for the screws, which I think were very poor in the original version. With the customs charge and post office ransom added in, it was an expensive exercise, though one I had to do as I couldn't stand the old plastic ones any more.

I think they're a good company in terms of reacting to customer feedback, and my own interactions with Lee have been nothing but positive, but would have been a lot happier if we'd been offered the new screws as a free upgrade, and would happily have paid the international shipping for this.

James, my jaw is still on the floor...

Those piercings were for a pair of plique a-jour enamelled lampshades on a pair of table lamps.
    Here is one shaped and assembled before enamelling, each shade had nine of the pierced panels.

Name:	Blue base lamp shade shaped, B, 18,7,10.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	5533

James