Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving with the times.

Ahh, thanks for the heads up on the edinburgh ones. That's three I can remove from my list then.
    That is exciting for you Carole - Best of luck with it all =)
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    Ahh, thanks for the heads up on the edinburgh ones. That's three I can remove from my list then.
    That is exciting for you Carole - Best of luck with it all =)
    PM me with the names if you want Sian and I'll tell you if I have heard anything, we won't name and shame them

Sent =) xx
    Sian Williamson

Hi happy new year all, I had an experience with a shop which had some silver jewellery on display, I asked the lady if she would be interested in stocking/selling some of mine, and duly returned with some samples. She was prepared to take in a quantity of stock provided I supplied the display cabinet,top quality boxes and she would require 40% of the sale price. This was not high street premises it was a back street florist, I immediately checked that one of the buttons on the back of my head had not come undone and left.
    Some time later a young lady admired three stacked rings my wife was wearing and I ended up making two rings for her , it turned out that she had a high st. beauty parlour type of place and offered to stock a few trays of jewellery and sell them for me, she insisted she would not take anything for this, but we will come to some arrangement I am sure.
    Following this another young lady who is opening a shop about 15 miles away asked if I would like a corner of her window to display some of my items this town gets lots of cruise liners in the summer and would probably be worth 30/40% but I don't think she is wanting anything like that,a friend of a friend. DONNIE

I've always been asked for between 30-40% by galleries (I've only ever sold through a couple of art galleries).
    I stopped after dreadful experiences chasing money and stock going 'missing'.
    At the stat of December I was asked to supply a gallery in West Wales with a selection. It was really short notice, but I sent 20 pieces (my Christmas stock that was not off at assay!).
    In fairness they informed me my first cheque was sent out on 23rd (which I was pretty impressed with as I'd not invoiced and it was less than a month after sending them). Only problem is I am having to guess as the items sold from pictures and what the gallery manager has told me she has bought herself. I also can't get the cheque (it's been sent to my studio - the post goes to a seperate business as our complex is gated and this has the front door - our post gets pigeon holed) until they are back off hols later this month. So I've no idea if it's for the correct amount, or (despite asking repeatedly) which pieces have actually sold :-S

Hi Happy New Year Donnie. I hope the shop goes well for you, sometimes it just needs a bit of luck from an unexpected place.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I've always been asked for between 30-40% by galleries (I've only ever sold through a couple of art galleries).
    I stopped after dreadful experiences chasing money and stock going 'missing'.
    At the stat of December I was asked to supply a gallery in West Wales with a selection. It was really short notice, but I sent 20 pieces (my Christmas stock that was not off at assay!).
    In fairness they informed me my first cheque was sent out on 23rd (which I was pretty impressed with as I'd not invoiced and it was less than a month after sending them). Only problem is I am having to guess as the items sold from pictures and what the gallery manager has told me she has bought herself. I also can't get the cheque (it's been sent to my studio - the post goes to a seperate business as our complex is gated and this has the front door - our post gets pigeon holed) until they are back off hols later this month. So I've no idea if it's for the correct amount, or (despite asking repeatedly) which pieces have actually sold :-S
    That doesn't sound very satisfactory Lydia, I've had few problems in the past like you. Some gallery owners are so lax with jewellery, I'm sure they don't do it with paintings but seem to have blind spot with craft. That's why I hate sale or return, you feel that you're stocking their gallery and some of them take up to 3 months to make a payment. I hope your cheque turns out to be the right amount

Galleries I stock are at 40-55% commission, a minimum of 40% seems the 'norm', but on the basis of sales, some will be renegotiated or withdrawn, but generally keeping in contact and building a good relationship with them means fairly timely payment!!

I don't think I'd ever go with anyone that wanted that much commission. 35% would be my absolute max - I don't want anyone taking over 50% of my materials, time and sheer hard work when all they've done is plop it on their shelf. Ofcourse, location dependant I could expect their shop overheads to be higher than average - London for eg, so I could understand the high comms rate, but that's areas I'll be avoiding anyway for that reason
    I would definatly feel taken advantaged off over 35% for sure. x
    Sian Williamson

That's 35% of the *retail* price. Your wholesale price should already include time, materials, ancillaries - and your profit.
    Look at it as the cost of selling; if you were selling at a show, the cost of selling would include your time. If you sell online, the cost of selling includes the time & effort of maintaining the website and getting the pieces photographed properly for sale.

Well, I had yesterday off from ranting about pricing