Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving with the times.

Funny, I tend to think of it as a University town before I remember the golf! Oldest seat of learning in Britain (albeit the 3rd uni to get its charter).

Lol, I should edit it to "golf/uni town" then =p
    Sian Williamson

Definitely a golf town Peter the students are only there half the year they are on holiday so often. I was recently shown round former halls of residence overlooking the old course which has been turned in to luxury apartments. I think the penthouse was 6.5 m if not more, the rest over 2. All I can say is if I had that much money I would hope to have better taste. Golf is definitely the big money maker, followed by Harry Potter and Roslin Abbey for the wives, as we would say up here all fur coat and nae knickers!!

I think it's changed a wee bit since my father did his PhD there (and since I was last there, which is more recent).

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    ...as we would say up here all fur coat and nae knickers!!
    Really? I thought that was just a Weegie thing!

(note to self - *really* ought to exercise more self-discipline on thread drift!!!)

Sorry is that me getting my wrists slapped will try to keep on the subject

Meh. I can't criticise others if I keep doing it!

So, what's everyone doing for new year? Anything exciting planned?
    Sian Williamson

Those galleries do sound snotty! It's very easy down here to get into galleries and I'm being asked all the time to do sale or return. There are a few that I wouldn't stand a chance with but not many. The county is stuffed full of galleries. Apparently there are more artisans to the square mile in Cornwall than anywhere else in the world. Don't know how they work that one out, but it's probably true.

I've got an exciting new project for the new year. I'm going to extend my studio even more so that I can fit in more students. Now that I'm giving up shows, I can concentrate more time on teaching, which I love. There, I've said it, so I have to do it now!

Good for you Carole, glad to hear someone is doing something that they love. Hope it goes well for you. Apparently this is the year of the Wooden Horse.The year of the wooden horse is said to be a year for those who are ready for a thrilling year. It would be a year of opportunities in which a person must grab, if they want a prosperous year.. Sounds good to me

Re the galleries up here, they are very elitist, you wouldn't even think of approaching the Edinburgh ones, they recoil in horror because you have to be invited. Many of the more parochial ones wouldn't know how to show a good piece of jewellery if it hit them on the nose and are more likely to stock the sort of jewellery that sells to the Scottish tourist trade, preferably cheap and with an agate or a bit of tartan included somewhere. Our OS won an outstanding achievement award from Create in Fife a few weeks ago so hopefully things are changing

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I dread the thought of shows... Not sure I have the ability to do the presentation. I have the portable payment gadget thingy, but not necessarily the know how to make a display look good. Great you are busy Carole. I am lucky and have small commissions to take me up to Feb.

Not sure about the sale or return, with things on Etsy, I couldn't let them also go, in case they never came back. Or is there insurance to take out to cover the latter??