Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lampert - PUK4 Welding System

It looks like an amazing tool to me and I'm enquiring about it as I've been offered one as a gift!

Don't for one minute think that my skill levels warrant one, but if its free and can be used in the future then why not. Presuming no solder is needed unless filling porosity?

Also wondering if its effective on Sterling & Fine silver as that's why I'm making items in right now.

Nick

Why would you fill porosity with solder when you can buzz in the same metal?

My mistake.. I meant use the appropriate silver wire alongside the electrode part to add to the parent metal, from what I gather.

Nick

Ah. Yes, that's welding - you use the same(ish) filler metal as the parent, so the joint and the filler are as close to homogeneous as possible. Soldering uses a filler metal with a significantly lower melting point, while brazing uses a filler with a much higher MP.

If anyone can shed some light on the pros & cons of laser vs. PUK welding I'd be very interested (apart from the cost and the 20A power requirement for laser...)

I bought my Puk four or five years ago. At there time there was available a short video series which outlined the basics. I'm sure there must be copies available still.
    Don't know what I would do without it now!
    ATB Martin ...

Oh, I forgot to say, Cookson does fantastic 18 carat round wire which makes an ideal filler. I think it is 0.3mm - perfect!
    ATB Martin ...

Quote Originally Posted by H H Wheen View Post
    I bought my Puk four or five years ago. At there time there was available a short video series which outlined the basics. I'm sure there must be copies available still.
    Don't know what I would do without it now!
    Any chance of a link to that? I have got one and could use any help available. Adam

I saw some Youtube videos by Orion on using their welders - there may be some use in them?

This was a good read - www.silversmithing.com/puk.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I saw some Youtube videos by Orion on using their welders - there may be some use in them?

This was a good read - www.silversmithing.com/puk.htm
    Abslolutely brilliant. Thanks very much for the link. This forum is proving to be an excellent find. Adam

You're welcome. I was actually looking for info on laser welding rather than arc...