Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chains

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Just be careful to use very little solder and put more heat towards the tubing, I have found from experience in the past that snake chain attracts solder like nobody's business and locks it so it's no longer snake anymore !
    The problem is solved quite easily by using a little fast setting epoxy instead, put up the tube with a saw blade. An added benefit is that should you need to undo it in the future, not much heat from a mini torch allows you to pull it apart without damage. That is why I close the tube end BTW. ;-) Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-12-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The problem is solved quite easily by using a little fast setting epoxy instead, put up the tube with a saw blade. An added benefit is that should you need to undo it in the future, not much heat from a mini torch allows you to pull it apart without damage. That is why I close the tube end BTW. ;-) Dennis.
    Epoxy Dennis did you whisper that? Sometimes if it's not a tight fit I melt the solder in the tube first and then put the chain in and reheat and that stops it running up the way

Dennis, I cant believe you of all people told me to use epoxy. Actually I made a ring yesterday that the stone sat a bit low, so i put in a silver disc and expoxyied it tight so it didnt rattle. Apparently this pendant is going to be an heirloom, not quite sure how because she hasnt got any children, but lots of nieces and nephews, so presumably its for one of them. Getting back to chains, she said she is going to wear it day and night, never take it off, so it has to be strong, probably just as well she is having the 2.4mm one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Dennis, I cant believe you of all people told me to use epoxy.
    Well, one has to move with the times, Pat. Glues were rubbish once and are still not a good idea for translucent stones, because they interfere with the refraction of light. Even when fixing opaque stones, tiny amounts of excess adhesive will spoil the effect, so I mostly set those.

As I have mentioned above, epoxy is ideal for fixing snake chain into closed tubes and allows for subsequent revisions if required, such as shortening, or replacing kinked chain. I have some rough users, but have never had one returned, because it has come apart at the chain end. I have had some simply broken elsewhere though...

I have also thought about possible, sensitivity to glues, but not one of my wearers sensitive to other things has had a problem.

In fact, soldering snake chain is a compromise, because soldering stiffens it and anneals the adjacent part, causing it to be weaker. To avoid that when using heat, it should be tacked in place by welding, as it is commercially.

While onto adhesives, I could go on about cyano-acrylates (superglue) as a soldering aid too. Regards, Dennis.

Glad I found this thread because I had problems soldering snake as mentioned above. Will definitely be trying epoxy next time.
    Thanks Dennis.

I soldered mine ok, trick is to put small amount of solder and keep it close to the end of the chain.