Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pendant motors vs micromotors

Default Pendant motors vs micromotors

I'm thinking of adding a micromotor to my arsenal, mostly for setting work (although the high speed appeals for polishing applications). In part, I'm finding the flex shaft of the pendant motor can be obstructive when I'm working under the microscope, so wondered if switching tools would help.

Does anyone use one? Or better, both? I'll probably go the cheap route and get a Foredom rather than an A*F for now, but recommendations are welcome.

I have a reconditioned one bought from Milnes Bros, about 18 years ago and the only service it's had to date was to renew the brushes, once. Mind you, they are quite short again and will need renewing soon.

I would never go for a flex shaft myself, because I like the balance of the micromotor hand piece, which is unimpeded by the light weight lead. However:

1. It will only take standard 2.35 mm shanks, which you have to look out for when buying accessories.
    2. There are no alternative handpieces for setting, riveting, or engraving.

Mine is a hybrid with an Osada control box and an innominate handpiece, put together by Mr Frampton. It has good torque and will not stall even with large red stones used on acrylic. I can also recommend the American one by Ram Products which they and also Sutton tools sold at one time. Both have a foot switch, but the speed is set by a dial, which is a pity.

You do have to be wary of cheaper models with low torque, which are a useless waste of money. If you are able to visit Milnes Bros (by appointment) you can try before you buy. When I visited I simply chose the cleanest looking one that had sufficient torque for grinding acrylic, which is the benchmark. Some I was offered were quite grotty. They are in an industrial estate on the A23 just short of Croydon. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have this micromotor I used to use a pendant drill, but as I love setting stones found it very difficult to manage with the flex shaft.

the micromotor has changed so much. The model I use has a quick twist and change for the bits. It copes well with slower speeds for drilling and using burrs for setting stones. I have had it for almost a year. It so much quieter too. High speed on the polishing is brilliant, but I seldom go too high for fear of flying bits that were not centred properly in manufacture.

I still have a pendant drill, but it is now in my 'was useful once cupboard'.

probably not much help Peter, but there are no brushes to deal with on this micromotor, which was my kerching moment as I am totally pants at taking things apart and putting them back together without going wrong. The micromotor also has the option of auto drive (set it to the speed, press the pedal, reach the speed and off you go. Press the stop button and you are done).

all the best,

Wallace ;o)
    Last edited by Wallace; 05-03-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typos

I find a place for both but agree you need a decent micro motor to create the torque of a pendant motor. I dont have a decent one thats maybe why I use both.The micro motor is great for polishing with rubber/silicon wheels,and produces a lot less vibration.

865 pounds ?????? yikes I looked at the A*F thing that Peter referenced and thought that was pricy enough but wow, I will not be getting one of those any time soon :0)

LOL - I didn't pay that much. I got mine a year ago - take a little bit off. Cousins are selling them for that plus the VAT.

I was lucky that I had a good VAT return on that quarter, so it helped take the sting off the cost too.

So with those things I am guessing from the pictures I have seen that the motor itself is in the handpiece?

Wallace has a Rolls Royce version and I bet she parks it in front of her house just to annoy the neighbours. Yes the beauty of it is that the motor is quite small and fits inside the handpiece, so it drives the burrs directly.
    You will note in the instructions that starting the motor with the handpiece unlocked, ie the chuck left open, can wreck it. Well if you loose concentration that is quite easy to do. You hear a click, but the burr does not rotate. I do that from time time time, but quickly respond by taking my foot off the switch. So far my motor has survived.
    My guess is that you can find a worthwhile model for about £300 inc VAT. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Wallace has a Rolls Royce version and I bet she parks it in front of her house just to annoy the neighbours. Yes the beauty of it is that the motor is quite small and fits inside the handpiece, so it drives the burrs directly.
    no - it would not cope well with freezing at night or getting damp! lol
    Last edited by Wallace; 06-03-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks for all that - sounds like it could be a very useful addition, particularly with the way I work. Or shall return to working as soon as I get the bench reinstalled in its new location... I did note that the lesser Foredom (with brushes) also offers an impact handpiece; unsure about that for my use as I have a flex shaft hammer handpiece as well as an Airgraver (and a decent assortment of tiny punches), so that could be a bit silly perhaps.

Hang on, that sounds like me suggesting there *is* such a thing as too many tools - I must be ill.