Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stamping silver 925

I've been thinking about buying one of those "925" stamps from ebay and keeping it on display on any stalls I have, purely to demonstrate the importance of full hallmarks & how 925 on it's own means nothing & how easy to is to obtain one of those stamps. It's astonishing how many people do not know what a hallmark is and they geniunely do believe that the presence of the "925" alone means it's sterling silver.
    As a crafter and seller of sterling silver, I kinda feel it's my responsibilty to help show clients (or potential clients) what hallmarks are and what they mean etc.
    I'm always posting information and videos etc on my selling facebook page about hallmarks.

It upsets me as I know of someone who sells all the time and they're not even hallmark registered. Everything they sell, be it over or under the legal weight is never, ever hallmarked. Despite many times being reported, they're still doing it and have been at it for decades!!!!
    Some play by the rules and others don't I guess. xx

P.s - I have everything possible sent to assay for hallmarking, no matter how tiny
    Last edited by Keia; 09-12-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: missing info
    Sian Williamson

This has made very interesting reading. Over the last year or so I have developed the silver side of my jewellery and now sell items made by myself - at above and below the hallmarking limit. Reading up I realised that I needed to display the hallmarking notice - so duly laminated a couple of copies and always have them on display. I hallmark all items above the limite (and some below).

So, at the weekend, attending a Christmas Fair, had a walk round to see what other jewellery was there. Several beaded type ones that I wouldn't expect to find the notice as not needed. One or two saying handmade jewellery that I suspect should have. Then one seller who buys in (ie not handmade) all silver items. Hallmarking not mentioned and no signs displayed apart from those saying silver jewellery. This is his job, not just a hobby (but I don't know the business name as he never displays one!). I've seen this repeatedly lately.

Does anyone ever approach a stallholder and ask about hallmarking? What if you are a stall holder at the same fair.......

Well a shouting match between stall holders would be rather undignified, but you can point out to customers who are interested in your work, that it is properly hallmarked.

You might also protest to the organisers after the event, that it is bad for their reputation if participants flout the law. Dennis.

The organisers don't care most of the time.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

When I go to fairs like this I always chat with the stallholders about hallmarking...some are genuinely ignorant about the law, particularly regarding the dealers notice, but others just don't give a damn, and with those ones I generally walk away with their card and follow up later along with TS. Dennis is absolutely right...a shouting match on site won't achieve anything....I have to say though that the majority are really switched on regarding the law and are proud to display their dealers notice and tell me about their hallmarking and their chosen assay office

Interesting read, I still buy in some components, e.g lobster clasps, (as I can't make them) and these have the 925 stamp on them, they are added to some beaded Jewelry, surely I don't need to get these fully hallmarked do I?

I did a fair over the weekend and proudly displayed and talked about my hallmark and makers mark, one lady loved a piece of my work, walked round and came back for a second look then said, "you can never be sure, i'll stick to a jewelry shop" Lol

.....and that's when you can come straight back and tell her that it's all hallmarked so it's been independently tested! It's the whole point of the mark..that no matter where its for sale the hallmark is guaranteeing the metal!!
    Ah well...you can't win them all...maybe next time

The lobster clasps etc will be under the 7.78g threshold and so won't need to be hallmarked. Findings are usually classed as "working parts" anyway......and we don't hallmark them separately.

Hi all, An interesting post, assume I make a ring just over 7g, I intend to sell it for say £35. how much would I have to add to cover hall marking post etc.

DONNIE

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

I think you are starting from a false premise, Donnie. You can't decide how much to sell it for, until you have added all the expenses and your hourly rate. Hallmarking is not optional, so it is an expense. It consists of a proportion of your setting up expenses, the assay office charge depending on how many items you will have sent together and the return postage.

Packing, postage and insurance to the customer are then added separately.

Our members spent eleven pages discussing a suitable hourly rate and how to arrive at the retail price here: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4806 Happy Reading. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-12-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Hi , Thank you for the informed reply Dennis, the eleven pages of members discussion on how to arrive at a retail price is very interesting. I maybe did not word my post very well, I was trying to get my head round the fact that the material cost in a 8g/9g ring lets say just for discussion £10, I struggle to see a good reason to add a further £20/£30 or there about just to let the customer know yes indeed it is worth about a tenner. Gold on the other hand I can understand this. Is there a need to raise the 7.78g limit on sterling silver regarding hallmarking or is that another thread. Or indeed a thread from the past.

DONNIE