Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Stamping silver 925

Damn you've for me thinking about recycled forks and spoons now. There is a shop a few miles away that does local craft as well as fair trade. She sent me an email on my FB page to say that although my work was amazing her words not mine if I would make stuff for 30 40 or 50 then she would be willing to share my page. It doesn't matter that every time you go in you spend at least £40 and £2.30 for coffee that takes her 2 mins to make so that's a hell of an hourly rate. Sorry got off the point she has riled me so much!!!
    I have tried to explain to her about hand made and the costs of hallmarking and materials etc but she actually doesn't get it as this isn't the first time she has done this. She sells locally 'made' fork and spoon jewellery, I wonder if it is legal?? Damned if I'm going to give her any money this Christmas but I'll have a look should I cross her threshold when I have calmed down

Having made a few spoons in the past and knowing the time and effort they take, seeing some of the lovely work on some of the spoons that have been made into these rings and thinking about the makers in the past who put their time, passion and skill into creating them in the first place, how can you regard it as re-cycling when you are ruining their work. Sorry but I really find it so sad to see these things.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    ….. I would make stuff for 30 40 or 50 then she would be willing to share my page. It doesn't matter that every time you go in you spend at least £40 and £2.30 for coffee that takes her 2 mins to make so that's a hell of an hourly rate. Sorry got off the point she has riled me so much!!!
    I have tried to explain to her about hand made and the costs of hallmarking and materials etc but she actually doesn't get it as this isn't the first time she has done this. She sells locally 'made' fork and spoon jewellery, I wonder if it is legal?? Damned if I'm going to give her any money this Christmas but I'll have a look should I cross her threshold when I have calmed down
    yeah, you should totally outsource all your designs to the far east and sell them for a fraction of the price. (coincidentally on similar lines, I met the owner of a local jewellers chain this summer who 'loved' my seaweed stuff but didn't understand why I didn't make it lighter and then get it all reproduced by his factory in Mexico so it could sell cheaper. He didn't get that the casting process of seaweed makes the one-off stuff he liked so... one-off).

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    Having made a few spoons in the past and knowing the time and effort they take, seeing some of the lovely work on some of the spoons that have been made into these rings and thinking about the makers in the past who put their time, passion and skill into creating them in the first place, how can you regard it as re-cycling when you are ruining their work. Sorry but I really find it so sad to see these things.
    I kind of know what you mean but I also kind of like the myth behind them (I've never actually seen anything contemporaneous which supports the servant story as being factual) and I would imagine that they would just end up getting melted for scrap otherwise. Also I'm sure a lot of the later ones would have been stamped out rather than handmade.

a great deal of these cutlery conversions have been done with non silver items, which of course is fine It's only when you use already hallmarked silver cutlery that you need to get the change of use cert. Here's a pic of one we did ages ago just FYI so you can see what they look like.....this is of course assuming that I've sussed out how to upload a picture!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	5468
    Last edited by SteveLAO; 18-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Another benefit of using the assay office, besides the legal requirement is laser etching.

They did a wonderful job for my brother at London. Though you can't see the hallmark because it's blurry (the pic not hallmark) , you can see the laser engraved signature.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nfCu6tseE1...0/rearview.jpg

(Image taken from Grey Fox blog, I'll ask him to email me a better image).
    Last edited by TheEnameller; 19-12-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks TheEnameller.....I'm so pleased you liked it It is the beauty of lasering......we can transfer pretty much any image onto metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    I completely agree - I'd like to hope that people that "recycle" antique silver flatware make the effort to research the makers mark before they hack something apart. Some silversmiths' work can be either rare or very collectible and the presence of particular makers marks can add much more value than just the silver value alone

This is very useful to know , i never new that one thank you Dennis as i was just being nosy reading having 5 mins lol xx