Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Stamping silver 925

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    This offence in the "olden days" was punishable by death!!
    You're *sure* that's been repealed?

Yes there does seem to have been an increase in these fork/spoon to ring and bangle conversions. They MUST have a change of use certificate before they can legally resell or they are breaking the hallmarking act. We do try to get involved with as many of these people as we can but there are only 4 offices and a LOT of these guys so we do as much as we can with the limited resource available. It's very difficult to chase and get them all and although TS do follow up, I'm not sure if hallmarking violations take as much importance as anti-freeze being sold as vodka!

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    On a slightly different tack, I have noticed a lot of fork/spoon jewellery that was hallmarked being sold on without the benefit of a change of use certificate.
    How do they get away with it? A couple of times I have advised the seller (politely) of the situation but they didn't even bother to reply.
    I recently made a bangle using a pair of Georgian sugar tongs and had to pay dearly for the cert.

Theresa

The high hit rate equates to the amount of convictions they get per reported offence. You're right, you cannot even begin to guess how many violations of the act there are out there, but I understand the TS seem to get a result from the vast majority of the cases they investigate. They do need the eagle eyes of everyone to report such offences though, so don't be afraid of getting in touch with your local TS officer if you see things which you know to be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Out of curiosity, how is TS assessed as having a good hit rate? I would have thought it impossible to be sure of the prevalence of non-compliance especially as there seem to be increasing numbers of people producing items made from precious metals in a variety of ways. Personally it pees me off no end when I see people selling unhallmarked items.

Regrettably so...
    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You're *sure* that's been repealed?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    Yes there does seem to have been an increase in these fork/spoon to ring and bangle conversions. They MUST have a change of use certificate before they can legally resell or they are breaking the hallmarking act. We do try to get involved with as many of these people as we can but there are only 4 offices and a LOT of these guys so we do as much as we can with the limited resource available. It's very difficult to chase and get them all and although TS do follow up, I'm not sure if hallmarking violations take as much importance as anti-freeze being sold as vodka!
    Is it not the case that we as jewellery makers are very aware of the Hallmarking laws and know of the need for a change of use certificate. I would hazard a guess that as the level of skill involved to make these things is negligible, the people doing it are not jewellery makers and probably have no idea that they are breaking the law. Steve, as there has been this explosion in these items, is there a need for TS offices to be reminded about this matter ( assuming they know of it to begin with ) and would this be something that the Assay Offices could do as a group?

We have a dedicated TS liaison officer on our staff, who already works closely with the TS offices and does keep them updated. I think though as far as TS are concerned, as I mentioned before, its a question of priorities for them, which is a shame. And of course so much is being sold via ebay.......
    Last edited by SteveLAO; 17-12-2013 at 11:05 AM.

I'm wondering if you're thinking of a fairly well-known jewellery maker who uses coins as well?
    I do get fed up with it - particularly when you know it's nonsense. A lady I know insists all her pieces are underweight, but I know from experience how heavy certain guages of wire gold rings are, and that it can't possibly be below 1g. Anyway, I must relax. I'll possibly live longer. (Has just forked out for an early hall for one piece. Ouch).
    Last edited by LydiaNiz; 17-12-2013 at 08:33 PM.

If you want to name and shame I'd be happy to follow it up??

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I'm wondering if you're thinking of a fairly well-known jewellery maker who uses coins as well?
    I do get fed up with it - particularly when you know it's nonsense. A lady I know insists all her pieces are underweight, but I know from experience how heavy certain guages of wire gold rings are, and that it can't possibly be below 1g. Anyway, I must relax. I'll possibly live longer. (Has just forked out for an early hall for one piece. Ouch).

Just out of interest, I made a pendant recently for my niece, it was a commemoration coin that was to fit in the middle of it, it was removable and slightly over the hallmarking weight, but as it was a gift I dont think it needs hallmarking. If, sometime in the future she wanted to sell it, would she have to get it hallmarked, I dont suppose it would ever happen, but its to commemorate her wedding and the coin was left to her by her father-in-law when he died. The coin is Italian and not valuable.

Hi Patstone...you're right, the act says ...."in the course of a trade or business"......and clearly a gift to your niece is neither of these! Thank you for your confession, and you can now have a lovely Christmas safe in the knowledge that we have no intention of sending the boys round!

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Just out of interest, I made a pendant recently for my niece, it was a commemoration coin that was to fit in the middle of it, it was removable and slightly over the hallmarking weight, but as it was a gift I dont think it needs hallmarking. If, sometime in the future she wanted to sell it, would she have to get it hallmarked, I dont suppose it would ever happen, but its to commemorate her wedding and the coin was left to her by her father-in-law when he died. The coin is Italian and not valuable.