Thread: Oxidising Solution

Default Oxidising Solution

I have just purchased some oxidising solution which I intend to use with silver, I thought it would come with instruction and I'm totally clueless about it. I'm at risk of sound stupid here but can someone fill me in on the basics for example

Does it interact with glass or plastic? Do I have to be careful what I decant it into?

How do I dispose of it?

I take it I can't use it before soldering?

Do I have to be careful with polishing/ tumbling?

Thankyou!

What type of solution is it? Platinol perhaps? Or is it a liver of sulphur product?

In general terms, you will probably see that it comes in a plastic bottle, and can be used either for dipping, or brushing on with a synthetic brush. Wear rubber gloves..

It will be best used as a portion diluted with cold water and washed off with cold water when the desired colour is achieved.

Ammonium sulphide is so pungent that a piece can be hung over it, in a closed container and will colour through all the stages until arrested by washing. Platinol will do the same if diluted with plenty of water and applied as suggested above. Both will result in a flaky finish if hurried by warming, or using too strong.

Solutions are applied after all finishing is complete, but generally before setting stones. Once coloured and dried, the piece can be waxed to enhance the wet look effect, or sheen. Highlights can be rubbed up to bring back the silver.

The tiny quantities usually used can be poured down the sink with plenty of water but will cause staining. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-12-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Yes it is liver of sulpher,

Thankyou Dennis, very helpful

Well I've never used LOS as such, which I understand is a solid, of which you dissolve just a little in water. Many of us like to avoid the loud smell and toxic fumes, so opt for Platinol. With care, a little goes a long way.

I'm sure we would all like to see your results, eventually. Regards, Dennis.

This is a really helpful topic, as I recently had a go at photo-etching and have a couple of pieces I want to try oxidising. I had been looking for supplies of LOS or Platinol.

I'm keen to avoid toxic substances, so I'll experiment with the less aggressive Platinol and see how I get on.

That's for the info Dennis!