Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adapting tools

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default adapting tools

Hellooooo

I don't often ask for help, but I am a little stuck. Sorry if I am a little garbled in the following.

My neck is taking much longer to heal than on previous occasions.

Although the pain is now manageable with regular meds, the residual numbness to my left index finger is really causing me problems (occasionally has pins an needles, so it is on the mend). It often means I am not holding onto things as I have previously done.

I have tried using my trusty leather jawed Maun pliers, but my grip in general is very poor at the moment and things fly out of the jaws after a few zips on the Knew concepts.

I have tried a ring holder, but cannot get it to stop wandering - I did think about hacking it and making one side flat - which is possible if I put it in a vice and file away, I guess and they are relatively economical on the pocket to not worry about hacking into one. I do have a bench pin with a placement for ring holders, but it is the wrong cutting angle. I have tried my grs ring holder, but it is at the wrong height and in the wrong place, and again the wrong angle for me to cut.

The Maun has been the best as it means I can sit the stock flat - but the force is not strong in this one. I have put a little lever into my peg to help the pliers and take the strain away from my neck whilst holding... again, it helps a little, until I lose the grip.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I need to get some things completed with minimal loss to both the metal and my digit!

many thanks for any advice and support if you have some time to share.

That's a swine, Wallace - hope it improves soon.

On the Maun front, would it help to wrap the handles in Polymorph to give you a custom grip, or is that still not going to be enough for you?
    An alternative to the Maun pliers might be to use a small toolmaker's clamp; a bit of a faff, but you can then put the clamp in a vice (such as the GRS one). Slow, but a good grip.

Have you checked out available hand vices? I sometimes use them when my hands give out. I have a neck problem too so I know what goes on with constant gripping problems. I have some old hand vices that have a slide grip as well as the standard wing nut types.
    If you Google/ Images "watchmakers hand vice" you can see the types I have.
    This is one type available; http://www.watchtool.co.uk/hand-held...ce-p-6917.html

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	5396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	486856_478095228929697_759783632_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	5397
    I have one of these its called a 'piercers pleasure' bench peg,
    its spring loaded with a rubber lining and clamps flat stock between it,not sure if it would be any good for you but for piercing it works ok and holds things flat.
    Last edited by josef1; 28-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Thank you, Peter, James and Josef1.

I will look at some polymorph, I have loads of the stuff. Thank you for that Peter.

James, that watch gripper looks brilliant, and again with some poly morph, might be a great solution.

Joseph1, I do have one of those, it is great and very, very helpful... But at the moment forces a range of movement I do not have back. Soon, soon! Lol. (Amazing guitars you have done there)

I am also cutting around where I have soldered bezels, so between all of these, I just may get there. Off to get a new grippy helper tool.

Thank you all again so much. Gentle hug from me for your support and advice

James has suggested a hand vice and both Cookson and Sutton tools have some, particularly the suttonV5005. most of them though will need lining with tape, which is a nuisance because it wears through.

One thing which is helpful is a small vice for pillar drill, such as the Proxxon, because it rests flat on the bench, can be rotated and is easy to close firmly. It is large enough to be steadied even with a weak hand the jaws are smooth.

They also have larger options under 'bench press vice', which I think have quick release.

http://www.proxxon-direct.com/cgi-bi...3a28132#a28132

Get well soon, Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, much appreciated.

I will certainly have a Look at that too.

I got nothing, but do hope you are feeling better soon.

Hope your neck is feeling better soon Wallace.

Josef, that bench peg looks great! Wonder if it can be adapted to fit into the GRS bench peg mount...

Wallace, that tool I suggested was also available with a smaller pointed nose, like pliers, I have a pair but I couldn,t see them available anywhere except on eBay as antique watchmaker tools. That one I suggested is also great for holding metal when filing, expecially when filing the length edges of pierced strips smooth. I also have a pair that I filed off the gripping surface so that I could hold metals without having to use tape to resist marks. I also have various sizes of toolmakers clamps and wing nut tightening hand vices.
    I have had a neck problem for the past ten years, partly an age thing.
    I can recommend these for neck pain relief; http://www.johnlewis.com/aroma-home-...=c&tmcampid=73

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 28-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.