Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: adapting tools

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I have had a neck problem for the past ten years, partly an age thing. It's called Cervical Sponylosis with Osteophytes and Peripheral neuropathy, and the neurosurgeon that I saw told me that my condition was aggravated by my long hours bench working.
    I can recommend these for neck pain relief; http://www.johnlewis.com/aroma-home-...=c&tmcampid=73

James
    Thank you James,

I can get my lad to spot me a lovely present for Christmas that will be within his teenage budget!

I will have another look for the pointy version too.

I damaged my neck initially when I was 7 and fractured my skull at the same time! Then when I was 19 I fell forwards after unbalancing on a bouncy thing and my head and neck were pushed over my left shoulder enough that I could see the back of my shoulder. Didn't realise that impact would cause a lifetime of torn ligaments, cartilage and eventually bone loss (an inch in all so far). Injury to both cervical spine C3-C7 and thoracic spine have meant a great deal of positive management is in place. I usually live with a degree of discomfort but have become accustomed to it over the years, along with reduced sensation in my little finger and ring finger of my left hand. A recent slip after my son polished his boots and then polished the kitchen floor with the fallen wax meant I got a huge flare up. That neck relief pad looks perfect - thank you again.

Already sent you my best wishes else where lol but just wanted to reiterate them. Get better soon babe!
    XXXX
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

I can't offer any help with the gripping Wallace but I'd suggest acupuncture to you as well as Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle & Podge View Post
    Already sent you my best wishes else where lol but just wanted to reiterate them. Get better soon babe!
    XXXX
    you are sooo lovely, thank you . x

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I can't offer any help with the gripping Wallace but I'd suggest acupuncture to you as well as Pat.
    Thanks Carole, I am managing the injury and it is improving - the grip will always be a problem. Which is why I had an extra bit put on my dopping stick to help with the grip on the stone setting course. I do gentle exercises as provided by a physio and they help very much. The injury was the problem. Really, thank you for your kind suggestion... anything that may avoid needles? lol

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Hope your neck is feeling better soon Wallace.

Josef, that bench peg looks great! Wonder if it can be adapted to fit into the GRS bench peg mount...

it does but you need to cut it on the sides and glue a bit of wood onto it to make it thicker
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	5407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	5408

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I got nothing, but do hope you are feeling better soon.
    Thank you Liz, I wasn't ignoring you, the thread grew a bit and I didn't see back until now
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Hope your neck is feeling better soon Wallace.
    Thanks Lauren - all will be well, eventually. sorry for not replying to your kind words earlier, I cannot see how I missed you lovely ladies and kind comments.

I wanted to say thank you again for all the advice and information, pointers and tips.

I am using some polymorph more for handles (great reminder tip there Peter )

I am still waiting to see if I need to get that vice you mentioned Dennis as the vice clamp seems to be working like a dream. I so wanted to get it, but my lad insisted that he wanted to get me something I for Christmas, so had to wait. Why is it that we adapt the tools sometimes? LOL I have Gorilla glued some leather padding to the jaws to reduce the issues with marking... so far, so good.

I am also sitting most evenings with a little warm wrap on my neck. Biggest thing I do though, is to actually not spend all my day / evening at the bench. This is now my job and I have to stay healthy. Good tools to help my grip (given my long standing neck problem), good posture and a good bit of rest in-between!

Thanks for being so awesome - all the tips, advice, and well wishes everyone contributed has been so very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Wallace; 04-01-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Well my problem apparently is Polymylagia which only happens to older people. I don't consider 66 to be old. Joking apart it can be got by younger people, but is rare. Nobody seems to know the cause. Doc is treating it with steroids, which has lessened the pain and increased movement but acupuncture didn't do anything. Don't like taking tablets, bad enough having to take blood pressure tabs every day. Strangely enough I am a couple of stones over what I should be, but walk dogs for a couple of miles every day whatever the weather, so reasonably active. Got to get off the steroids as soon as I can, but doc said if you stop too quick it will come back, problem will heal itself, but steroids mask the pain and better than painkillers. Who knows, one morning just woke up with pain in one shoulder and within a week in both and that was in Oct and had it ever since but with mine it is just a time thing, it will go eventually - so I am told.........
    Hope your problem eases soon Wallace, pain is a bad thing especially when it stops you doing things.
    A light hearted thing to finish with, because my shoulders have been so stiff I can't get my arms behind my back to u do my bra, so asked hubby to do it for me, he was fumbling around and took ages, (he is just 61 by the way) I asked him if it was caught up in something but he said no, just couldn't undo it. You wouldn't think that 9 years ago when we got married, he could do it in the dark with one hand .!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Patstone; 04-01-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Attachment 5396Attachment 5397
    I have one of these its called a 'piercers pleasure' bench peg,
    its spring loaded with a rubber lining and clamps flat stock between it,not sure if it would be any good for you but for piercing it works ok and holds things flat.
    That looks a terrific vice, where can I get one please.

Haha! That did make me laugh Pat.

As well as acupuncture, I swear by Pilates. I can twist and bend now bits that were stuck rigid before. I do it twice a week and absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Well my problem apparently is Polymylagia which only happens to older people. I don't consider 66 to be old. Joking apart it can be got by younger people, but is rare. Nobody seems to know the cause. Doc is treating it with steroids, which has lessened the pain and increased movement but acupuncture didn't do anything. Don't like taking tablets, bad enough having to take blood pressure tabs every day. Strangely enough I am a couple of stones over what I should be, but walk dogs for a couple of miles every day whatever the weather, so reasonably active. Got to get off the steroids as soon as I can, but doc said if you stop too quick it will come back, problem will heal itself, but steroids mask the pain and better than painkillers. Who knows, one morning just woke up with pain in one shoulder and within a week in both and that was in Oct and had it ever since but with mine it is just a time thing, it will go eventually - so I am told.........
    Hope your problem eases soon Wallace, pain is a bad thing especially when it stops you doing things.
    A light hearted thing to finish with, because my shoulders have been so stiff I can't get my arms behind my back to u do my bra, so asked hubby to do it for me, he was fumbling around and took ages, (he is just 61 by the way) I asked him if it was caught up in something but he said no, just couldn't undo it. You wouldn't think that 9 years ago when we got married, he could do it in the dark with one hand .!!!!!!!!!