Thread: Numb thumb from Foredom pendant motor

Default Numb thumb from Foredom pendant motor

I have been using the flex shaft of my foredom pendant motor for about six months now and started experiencing a numbness in my thumb about three months ago. It gets worse when I use the pendant motor for long periods of time. Has anyone else experienced this sensation in their fingers and is there a way to stop it? I can't use a different tool as it is the only tool that will do the necessary job.

Might be worth getting checked out for hand arm vibration syndrome. Wouldn't have thought the amplitude from a Foredom handpiece would be that much of a risk, but it's a possibility. Talk to your GP...

My interpretation is that you are holding your hand piece as you would a pen, so applying severe forces to the joints of your thumb in order to control your burrs and gadgets.

If instead you hold the hand piece in your fist, as you would a potato peeler, your thumb will still be used as a guide by resting it on you work, or your bench peg, but the strain will be less. This is counter intuitive and takes practice at first.

In the mean time a covered ice pack on the sore joint of your thumb for about half an hour twice a day will help it to get better. If it does not recover in reasonable time, seek medical advice. Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-11-2013 at 04:47 PM.

I always use my hand piece in my fist as I think it gives me more control. I was told off (well corrected) at Birmingham Jewellery School but I still do it.

Well I'd have a hissy fit if someone told off (corrected) me.

I'm more accurate using a handpiece (micromotor or flexshaft) held in a pen grip, with one finger on the piece I'm working on and another braced on the bit shank (not running at high speeds, funnily enough!).
    I use a fist grip for polishing, grinding, heavy carving and similar.

I use a fist grip for the pendant motor and pen grip for the micromotor. Not sure why, just what seems to work for me.

This has been really interesting to read - I ended up with a really 'fizzy' feeling hand after using the flexi shaft on my dremel look a like last week. Needed to polish several bracelets today so tried the fist grip as opposed to my usual pen grip and although it took a little getting used to my hand felt fine afterwards.

I have to use a fist grip too as my Dremel makes my carpal tunnel play up a bit. Think I'd pop along to your GP just in case.

Thanks all. I'll try using a fist grip for this in the future but it's probably not a bad idea to mention it to my GP too. :-)