Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foredom Quick Release AGAIN

I have done that, and it still doesnt work. In desperation I sawed off the end of the allen key to see if perhaps it had got damaged and it still doesnt work.
    Not sure what to do now, it does hold normal burrs ok, but when the going gets tough it just spins. If you pull the burr it comes out easily so it should be tighter than it is I should think. Thanks for all your trouble, really appreciated. X

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Here are the instructions snipped from the original sheet posted by Peter. I hope you can print them in a large enough size to read easily. If nothing is happening, then the possibilities are:

1. The pliers are not gripping. Or

2. The allen key is worn, or the wrong size, because you should feel that something is turning. That said, what the allen key does, is to lock the collet after it has been adjusted to its best position. The best position is when a burr will go in a little tightly, but still comfortably, with the lever open.

3. Or it could be that the collet or the lock screw are faulty, in which case you need to replace them, but this is hardly likely with a newish handpiece.. Dennis.

Did you ever sort out your hand piece Pat. I've noticed that mine slips when using radial brushes - seems OK with everything else, though I don't use it much myself.

Not really, Carole, it still slips. I did try to tighten it as per the instructions but not sure if it actually did tighten. I have the other handpiece as well, so if it slips I put it into the one with the chuck, sorry cant remember the number of it now and its upstairs, so I will check later when I go back up and buzz back. I even cut the end off the allen key so it would have a new unblemished end, but it didnt feel as if it was unlocking, like you would expect a nut and bolt to feel, and of course you cant see it because its inside.

You're right Pat, you can't really see or feel anything when using the allen key.....the biggest difficulty is knowing which way to turn it, but you will know if you've tightened it, if you go a little too tight, you won't be able to get a burr into the chuck, I then just back it off a little and i'm ready to go again,......hope this helps!!
    Jill x

Thanks Jill, I will have another go at it later on. I havent been anywhere near my workbench for about 4 days now as my elderly mother (96 years old) had a fall and broke her arm and has a very bad sprained ankle, she is ok again now as in "fairly comfortable", and my dad is coping with the day to day running with the help of a carer coming in for an hour to help get mum showered etc. Fortunately they moved into a disabled bungalow, and never got around to taking off the grab rails and as it was designed for a wheelchair, there is plenty of room. Now all the carers etc are in place I may be able to make a bit more, especially as we have a craft fair next weekend.

Oooh Pat, sounds like you've had an awful few days, things should hopefully settle down for you, now you've got everything in place, fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear about your Mum Pat, that doesn't sound much like fun.

I'll have a look at mine later. I've collected so many allen keys that I must have one that fits.

Mum has been so well and active, does all her own gardening, well to get things into perspective, she has a patio with a wide border all around it, and millions of pot plants and cuttings etc in the greenhouse. She has done all her housework until last year when she has someone to come in to do the ironing and vac through once a week. My dad loves cooking so he took on that role years ago, they have it all under control. Trouble is when you are so used to them going places and doing things, then suddenly they cant, its like being hit in the face with a brick, reality hits and you think well she is 96 and wont last forever. My dad is 10 years younger and you would think more agile, but he has metal plates and steel bits inside where he had a bad fall a couple of years ago. This was taken at xmas 2013 with my daughter being silly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mum laughing at Sams onesie.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	5996

What a lovely picture Pat, it is hard isn't it, my mum had surgery for bowel cancer almost 2 years ago, and had a heart attack during recovery, it really aged her, knocked her confidence I think

Great photo Pat. She looks like a character.