Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Casting

Default Just Casting

Can anyone recommend "Just Casting" in Hatton Garden?
    Looking for a new caster who also offers a complete polishing service in-house, preferably with access to a laser in case of emergency casting problems.
    Turn around needs to be no longer than 2 weeks start to finish.

Merell sounded great until they said they charge two arms and a leg for the polishing
    Niagra Falls send it away for polishing, so you're going to pay quite a lot extra for that.

Thanks everyone. x

Lucy, you can search for further services here under catagory-services, and if necessary employ a polisher direct: http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/libra...hnical-portal/

Alternatively, why not just get a tumbler, or a magnetic polisher? Dennis.

Hey Dennis, Thanks for the reply.

I have a tumbler, but unfortunately, it damages the fine detail and it won't make up for lousy casting.

Thank you for the link - It's great idea!
    I've just sent off a pendant to Just Casting that needs to be with the customer for Christmas, so I'm going to cross every finger that it'll be successful and then I'll have a serious think.
    I've just had to get a sterling silver pendant lasered as the cast was poor; took far too long (no time to re-make) and is due with the customer.
    Time to make some changed me thinks!

Thanks again. x

Hi Lucie,

I have used Nexgen in the past for anything I've had cast, they're turnaround depends on demand I think, so you would be best to check, I've not used it because I prefer to clean my castings up and because the casting is usually only a part of rather than a finished item, they have complete clean up and polishing in house, here's the link (ask for Phil or Julie)...http://www.nexgenprecisioncasting.co.uk/

Yes, I use Nexgen too. I haven't used their finishing service though. They're very good but not very fast. From start to finish most things take at least a month.

By way of contrast, Weston Beamor have said 2 weeks as a worst case from growing a CAD model through to delivering the casting - no finishing though.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    By way of contrast, Weston Beamor have said 2 weeks as a worst case from growing a CAD model through to delivering the casting - no finishing though.
    Weston Beamor quoted me three weeks for a CAD model and cast - it took over four months!

Lucie,

I've used West One in Hatton Garden for years and they're lovely - always super helpful and I've never had a problem with their castings. Don't know if they do a finishing service though.

Thanks all. 90% of my work involves casting a finished product and because of the fine detail, the cast needs to be perfect - no pits or cracks.
    A tiny hole in the wrong place & I end up having to re-make the whole thing.

I've got half a dozen bits to make before Christmas, but then about 70 older pieces that need a good polish. It's a case of just not enough time to do it myself!

A lot of casters in Birmingham seem to sub the work out & then tag on their own mark up, which is what makes it so expensive.

I've phoned Western Beamore Peter & they will only finish 18ct casts.
    Tabby & Carole - Nexgen also don't offer a finishing service on one-off pieces

I'll see how Just Casting gets on; keep my fingers crossed and ring around a few people on the list Dennis suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Weston Beamor quoted me three weeks for a CAD model and cast - it took over four months!
    Yikes. Thank you for the heads up - did they say why?