Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Devon

Hi Tim, I have just read Dennis`s post properly and of course the ring width will have a bearing on the fit, the customer would have to explain the type of ring they were planning. I have used this method only about a dozen times, and have not had any problems. I don't want to come across as more than a beginner myself, the rings I sell cost between £20-£40 not a lot of scope to send off samples. I started to use Dennis`s method of making the ring 1/2 a size smaller and stretching it to size a while back and it works very well.
    Yes there is never enough time in the day, spinning classes start tomorrow, there is snow on the Cairngorms, the boat needs work on the hull HELP!!!

DONNIE

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

Hi Tim, ditto all what you said, retired, making as a hobby, also born and lived in Devon all my life, mainly South Devon when I was growing up, Teignmouth to be exact, then got a job in Exeter and have been living there ever since. I take my stuff to craft fairs because I cant wear all of it, but I do try. I have found the plastic measurers not very accurate either, my best bet so far is to send the customer some of the cotton string, because it doesnt stretch, get them to wind it around their finger and cut through both pieces, making sure they can get it over their knuckle of course. I only add on the thickness of the silver and perhaps a mm if it is a wider ring, as I have made some a centimeter wide. P.S you can also use cotton string to polish awkward bits by putting one end in a vice and holding the other and putting polish on it and rubbing awkward areas on it.

there is are various phone apps that lets the customer put an existing ring on the screen and measure it,some also measure your finger size but I've not had much luck with that. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ring...397446589?mt=8 it wont suit everyone though I suppose.

Many thanks for the welcome and the useful tip Tabby.
    Not done a lot of setting yet apart from a few bezels and tube sets but I'll certainly bear that in mind
    Thanks
    Tim

Thanks Lucie,
    When I joined the forum yesterday I really didn't expect such a fantastic response from everybody and it's comforting to know that others have had to overcome similar problems.
    Do you make your brass blanks or can they be bought? I've not seen any online yet. Also, any reason for brass rather than copper?

Kind Regards
    Tim

Hi again. Terrible internet connection today

Tabby:
    I've only had a couple of US orders, but a few from Europe. You just have to remember that of you're using Royal Mail, they won't allow you to arrange return postage for overseas customers from here. All I usually send them the envelope; tell them to pay the postage & then I "refund it" (make sure you allow for this when you're working out you're costings!).
    I always charge an upfront deposit of 40% - 50% final retail price. The customers are happy with this & it makes sure my blanks are returned & I'm never going to fall foul of someone dishonest, or someone who places an order & changes their mind!

I also incorporate the cost of a ring "re-size" into all my prices, that way, in the extremely rare case of the finished product not being the perfect size, you won't have to approach them for more money, or eat into you're profits.

Tim:
    I've had my brass blanks for a long time now & I've been lucky that i've never had any gone awry. I don't work in copper, so i'm not the best person to ask about that one You might be able to approach a caster to have them made? There's usually someone in Hatton Garden that can do just about anything
    You could always have them made up for individual jobs as you get orders rather than making up / paying out for a full set?

Also worth mentioning that different profile rings (ie: Court & Flat), can measure slightly differently.
    I bought my UK ring sizers / sticks from Rashbels. They don't seem to sell my set any more, but they sell other bits.

Hope that's helpful x

Thanks Lucie,
    Yes it is very helpful.

As a point of interest for other users, although I only do one morning a week training at a local gallery, Rashbel's have previously given me 15% student discount on tooling and 5% on bullion. Always worth asking if people are undertaking training of any kind.
    All the best
    Tim

Thank you Patstone.
    Not too far apart then as we live just down the road in Tavistock.
    The cotton string you refer to.......would that be the cotton tress I see advertised sometimes?

I have about another 101 questions to ask but it probably wouldn't be right to expand this thread (no pun intended) as it started off as a 'Hello'
    I'm really grateful though to all who have responded to my post.
    No doubt I will be posting in other threads in the future so if you feel you can help, it will always be appreciated
    Kind regards
    Tim