Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Devon

Question Hello from Devon

Hello,
    My name's Tim. I registered some time ago, finally got round today to saying hello and promptly forgot username/password etc but now sorted.
    I'm 2+ years retired from the NHS and decided to convert an 'evening class hobby' into something more, so have undertaken additional training with a great teacher at her gallery on the Barbican in Plymouth. Was delighted and encouraged when she asked to display some of my work for sale in her gallery. Trouble is the more I learn, the more I find to learn!
    I've registered my hallmark at London this year and for anyone new to hallmarking I can thoroughly recommend the LAO Hallmarking Information Day at£35. Especially as I used to think it was only fully time served craftsmen who could register. The lunch alone was worth the money. I believe SteveLAO has made a previous post about it.

I do have a problem that I could do with some advice on or pointing to suitable reference works.
    That of ring sizing. I have made a number of rings in the past of varying shapes and sizes but because they have not been for specific customers, I offer them as they turn out so to speak.
    Recently I have been asked to make a couple of rings for of a specific size, one for a distant customer who quoted me size Q but obviously couldn't send her finger. It seems that there is a big difference between churning out rings of varying sizes than building to a specific size.
    I have a cheap (£20) ring stick with US and European numbers/circumferences/dia etc but when I refer to conversion charts even this seems to be at odds with measurements taken by my teacher with her English lettered ringsticks.

Any info/advice/references would be appreciated particularly on the following.
    - Allowances to add to length of metal when making rings - some say twice the metal thickness but that seems to end up small.
    - Tips on measuring finished ring sizes - e.g. when to use leading edge or centreline and any differences between wide and narrow bands
    - Similarly any tips on measuring fingers would be useful.
    - Anything else!

Hope this isn't too long for a first post. I did look for other posts on the subject but couldn't find any so maybe its just me that doesn't quite get it.

Many thanks
    Tim

Welcome to the forum, Tee Dee.

Some brief answers to your questions on Ring Sizing:

It does not matter what make of ring sizers and ring stick you use, provided that the customer/recipient uses the same. It does help if they are both by the same manufacturer and if the ring sizers are of the same width and profile as your final ring.

Narrower or wider rings on the same finger would appear to be looser or tighter, using the same apparent size. The best you can do is to take the size from an imaginary centre line on the ring. In difficult cases (by post) you might be driven to sending a test ring, or selection of rings made in a cheap metal first.

My personal preference is not to rely on the maths, but make the ring about one size or a half size too small and then stretch it with a ring stretcher. This is quick and efficient and does not mark the outer surface. Ring stretchers often have arbitrary scales, so you still have to monitor that with your ring stick.

Regards, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r Upright Ring Stretcher.jpg  

Many thanks for your quick and helpful response Dennis.
    I had a feeling that it is not an exact science.
    Do you (or anyone else) have any opinions on sending postal customers the plastic adjustable ring sizers such as Cookson's Multisizer (I cant post links yet)
    Had a look at your album. Really nice work and nice also to see functional items as well as purely decorative. Can't let my wife see as she's a keen quilter and may take a fancy to the tape measure holder!
    Kind Regards
    Tim

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum, ditto retirement, ditto hobby into something more, I have found the plastic ring measuring things not very accurate. What I do If the person
    cannot come by for a measure is ask them to pop into any jewellers and ask them to size the particular finger, and e-mail me.

DONNIE

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum from another retiree!

Thanks for the welcome and feedback Donnie,
    Given Dennis's advice on best results coming from measurements taken using sizes of equivalent width and profile to the final ring, do you generally get good results from customers using jewellers or have you had any mismeasures?

I'm sure I'll be asking more questions on sizing of rings/bangles etc so apologies in advance

All the best
    Tim

Thank you Lorraine
    I've never joined any sort of forum before but looking around this one it seems really friendly and informative.
    I only hope I'm able in the future to give a bit as well as take!
    Kind Regards
    Tim
    PS - (Also to DONNIE) since retirement, do you wonder how you ever found the time to go to work??

Welcome TeeDee!! Measuring and making rings when the customer isn't present for you to take the original measurement is and absolute nightmare!!!! (sorry)

Dennis' tips are very useful, but don't forget not to stretch rings with settings/stones on the ringstretcher!!

Hiya. I sell rings on-line & I don't end up meeting most of my customers!
    I send out brass sample rings with a return addressed envelope. So if they say they are a O, I might send them 4mm brass blanks:
    -O; O; O 1/2; -P and P
    I find this covers all my bases - my husbands wedding ring had to be re-sized 3 times by a well known high street retailer who couldn't seem to measure correctly!

Good luck x

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    I send out brass sample rings with a return addressed envelope. So if they say they are a O, I might send them 4mm brass blanks:
    -O; O; O 1/2; -P and P
    Good luck x
    What a fantastic idea Lucie, can I ask, do you limit this to the UK, only I have had 2 orders for rings from the US (second one finished yesterday), and I'm now having kittens!!!! Just thinking for the future.............