Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disc cutter...Swanstrom or Durston please?

I think I have talked myself into getting a swanstrom, they do a metric one for £30 more but sizes are virtually the same so what would be the advantage of getting the metric one please? thanks

Well, if you work in metric units, it is comforting to read off sizes you know and can visualise, but you can just as well just use your calipers and write the sizes in mm on the punches with a pen, or make a chart. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 17-11-2013 at 08:54 PM.

I don't know whether you do this for a living, but if not, and if you want to save quite a bit of money, there's a pretty good Indian copy of the swanstrom available on ebay. Of course it's not as good as the real thing, but having seen it in action, it's not bad at all - the punches are properly beveled and with a bit of a clean up (it's packed in a lot of grease), it seems to do the job well enough - and at about a third of the price allowing for delivery and customs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-EXTRA-L...item43a40335c8

Thanks George, it's only a hobby that one does look really good but do you think it would hold up well to last please? Cheers

A couple of friends of mine, as well as a student I've taught regularly have got them, and all seem very pleased - especially with the price! One opted to buy 'real' Swanstrom punches (which are not expensive at all from Rio) to use with it for the two sizes she uses the most, but it certainly seems to do the job a great deal better than a set without a clamp at a fraction of the cost. All seem to be lasting well so far too.