Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc cutter...Swanstrom or Durston please?

Default Disc cutter...Swanstrom or Durston please?

Which one would you recommend please? Many thanks

To need either, you would expect to be making dozens of disks into the foreseeable future, or want to make washers.

I don't use them, because I have never needed more than four or five at a time and often make spares to keep. So I only have what at the time was the standard basic one: Cookson 999 772.
    The main problem apart from limited sizes, which doesn't bother me, is that the cutting punches have to be knocked through with a rod and hammer after use. This slows you down no end. I think they should be tapered so that they drop through.

Smaller than standard sizes can be made by cutting slices from wire.

If you still need or just want one, I'm betting the members will recommend the Swanstrom. Be aware that many, even very expensive ones can be a complete pain to use, as I have found out elsewhere, so do take note of reviews. Dennis.

I've never used the Durston but my Swanstrom gets used again and again. If you're making a living from making jewellery you need every labour saving device you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    If you're making a living from making jewellery you need every labour saving device you can get.
    ...As opposed to gimmicks. The other thing I'd suggest is to learn the basics before worrying about the labour saving devices - so learn to saw accurate circles, it'll serve well in the long run (unless all you ever want to do is blank circles in the sizes provided).

I'm not a huge fan of gadgets (or techniques) that are one-trick ponies; an example of that would be the heart-shaped cutters I've seen - if you only need a few, saw them; if you really, really need loads of them in all the sizes it offers, fine; however, it may be that having a batch laser cut or a single blanking die would suit the task better in terms of time efficiency.

Having referenced ponies, I'll have to go up a few hands and say "horses for courses".

I still don't want to eat them and I'll bet HRH wouldn't either.

I have the Durston and have had a small issue with it. The smallest punch is unusable as it has a heavy pattern on the cutting face which it imparts to the work. I have been sent two replacement punches, one from cookson and one from durston, both (so all 3!) have the patterning. I gave up in the end, I don't really use the smallest size and if I need to I have a cheapo ebay cutter that does the job. Having said that it is a pleasure to use compared to the cheap one. I used it when I first got it and now I hardly ever use it, in fact if I need a disc I usually grab the cheapo one on the bench, it has a 'better' range of sizes as well. I would buy the swanstrom one if I were to make the purchase again but I don't think I'd bother unless as you're really needing loads of discs.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    I have the Durston and have had a small issue with it. The smallest punch is unusable as it has a heavy pattern on the cutting face which it imparts to the work
    As you have three, why not have a go at polishing the face of one, either on a sharpening plate, or on abrasive paper flat on the bench? As long as you keep it vertical it should remain sharp.

I have a Swanstrom and I love it. It cuts cleanly and the cutters fall through with no sticking. I've even used the smallest ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    As you have three, why not have a go at polishing the face of one, either on a sharpening plate, or on abrasive paper flat on the bench? As long as you keep it vertical it should remain sharp.
    Yes I probably will one day, although interestingly the punching face is not perpendicular to the shaft, it is at a very slight angle.
    I suppose it gives the leading edge of the punch a bit of a bite into the material as it punches through.
    cheers.