Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stone setting round a ring

Default stone setting round a ring

Hi...I know how to make a setting for a cabouchon, however I am at a loss as to how to male a stone set that will sit flush round the ring? I have made a thick ring and want to solder set stone onto it but so it goes aroind the round contours and sits flush rather than having gaps, what is the trick to this? Thanks

Hi ladybug,

Your question is not entirely clear to me. For instance where does soldering come into it? If you are asking how to flush set stones, then I have put key words into our search box (top right) and the results are here:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...=flush+setting.

In general, faceted stones are used and the metal must be about as thick as the distance from table (flat top) to culet (pointy bottom). If the point pokes through, it can be uncomfortable in a ring for instance and the stone is vulnerable to being pushed out with time.

When practicing, use cheap stones, such a CZs and copper for the metal. Try a flat piece of metal in the first place, because it becomes more difficult with curves,
    Dennis.

Thank you for the response. Its quite difficult to explain but I have my wide ring, ordinarily I would solder my bezel stone set on and there would be a gap to either side...I am trying to solder the bezel onto the ring but in such a way that it will curve round and not have gaps either side so it becomes part of the ring and doesnt just sit onto it? I wish I could post a picture of one so you could see what I mean then maybe able to help me with how it is achieved : )

I would make the bezel then file the bottom of it so it fits snug onto the ring with no gaps,then solder it to the ring, then clean up and set the stone

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I would make the bezel then file the bottom of it so it fits snug onto the ring with no gaps,then solder it to the ring, then clean up and set the stone
    Hi Ladybug,
    I think Josef's suggestion may well be your solution, you need to file a half-round into the bottom of your bezel, to match the shape/size of your ring.
    Tabby xx

Thank you...what do you mean by half round? I have made the bezel but the moment I try to fit it round the ring it distorts to an oval : (

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    I have made the bezel but the moment I try to fit it round the ring it distorts to an oval : (
    OK, the way I understand it now, you have made a tube setting for a round stone, but it is soft, and distorts as you try to file it to fit your ring. Is that right?

Well, you can make a tube within the tube to strengthen it, push it down to let the stone sit on it at the right level and tack it in with a little solder.

Now you will have a stronger tube, but you still need to check it stays round by pushing a round mandrel in from time to time.

To shape the bottom to fit the ring, file it near enough, using a half round file. Then perfect it by wrapping some sandpaper around a suitably sized rod, so that you have a tool the same diameter as the ring. you can rub the base of your setting on that to a good fit for soldering.

Not entirely...I have made a ring. The bezel setting is the same width of the ring so I am trying to solder it on so it has no gaps either side and kind of moulds on the contours of the ring but if I try to shape it round it distorts

I think this is one where a picture would be really helpful! Or even a picture of what it is you're trying to achieve. I realise you can't post links yet, but you should be able to add to your album or post a spelled out link if necessary.

I suspect that what you're making may be very difficult if you're using bezel strip. It may be better to make your own from slightly heavier sheet cut to size, which will distort a lot less when you try to file or manipulate it. When you're happy with the setting, file a nice bevel edge, which will be easy to rub over the stone when you come to set it.

Hi Ladybug, would it be acceptable to cut the ring and fit the bezel mount into the ring solder each side leaving no gaps

DONNIE

www.silver-n-things.co.uk