Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: November Themed Competition

Default November Themed Competition

Hello Everyone,

Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry into our October competition - we received so many fantastic designs! The winner will be announced by 05/11 on the October thread!

The theme for our November competition is...

Your Favourite Technique

Post your themed pieces within this thread with a little bit about the design and the winner will be revealed at the end of the month!

The Winner will WIN a £100 shopping spree.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

A few legalities...

Terms & conditions

No purchase necessary. The closing date for the competition will be 30.11.2013. The winner will win a £100 inc. VAT shopping spree at Cooksongold.

The judging process will take place on 04.12.2013. Our Judging Panel will make the final decision.

The Competition is open to all Cooksongold customers aged 18 years and over.

Only one entry per category per person.

There is no cash alternative. Cooksongold reserves the right to change the prize for one of equivalent value.

The winner will be notified on the forum within this thread by 11.12.2013.

Employees of Cooksongold, their agents and families are excluded from the competition together with any person connected to the competition.

Entry into the competition is deemed as acceptance of the rules. The winner agrees to participate in any publicity in connection with the competition.

To enter the competition, simply publish your design/comment within this thread.

No correspondence will be entered into. The judging panel's decision is final. The promoter is Cooksongold.

I am looking forward to seeing other people's favourite techniques. I often see jewellery and wonder what techniques have been used to make it. ( I have no favourite yet as I'm too new!)

No one seems to have entered this months favourite methods competition, so I thought I would get the ball rolling.

My most favourite technique is hand saw piercing. I do try and add this skill of mine to most of my designs.
    This is an example of my hand saw piercing, it is a piece that I designed and made when I was testing out the Knew Concept saw frames, these are photos of a bowl in progress and is yet to be finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	197g Silver bowl in rough sheet,low res.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	5369

James

Beautiful work James.
    My favourite is stone setting. As the range of shapes and types seems to be endless, everyone is a challenge and I never tire of it. I have a long way to go yet, but thoroughly enjoying the journey. Here is a selection of my recent work.

Name:	P1050598.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	5372

I have just finished this ring off today and thought I'd enter it as it was made using two of my favourite techniques.. hammering and balling up scrap

Rachael x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Goldsmith your work is amazing! Do you find a big difference between saws? I have a basic saw from the beginners kit but I'm pretty sure the main difference will be the talents and experience of the person using the saw and not the saw itself(?)!
    I really love the ladybird ring! Did you just melt scrap then to make the ladybird? I've tried this technique but have only made small balls that way so far. I agree it is fun watching the silver melt and seeing it form to a ball - but getting them soldered on to anything has been a challenge for me. May I ask how you added the details of the spots and lines?

Theresa your work is lovely too, I haven't worked much with stone setting yet but it's next on my list.

[QUOTE=Sandra Tingle; Do you find a big difference between saws? I have a basic saw from the beginners kit but I'm pretty sure the main difference will be the talents and experience of the person using the saw and not the saw itself(?)!

Thanks for your kind comments Sandra, as for saw difference in saw frames, as I have gotten older my hands are a bit arthritic so I find the Knew Concepts saw frames lightness a large benefit when piercing all day. Some of my larger projects have meant that I have pierced for hours on end and my hands and neck have suffered for this. The last big piercing job I had, meant that I had to pierce out holes in panels for a pair of lampshades, over 10,000 shaped holes to cut out, which meant releasing and tightening the saw blade over 20,000 times, I was piercing for 300hours on this job.
    I have a collection of 14 saw frames, six of them are Knew Concept ones. As I have told others use the best saw blades you can afford. I also think the techniques of saw piercing is important. I was taught to mostly pierce across the bench pin at right angles to my eyeline so that I could see where the blade was cutting. My master used to say it was better to see where the saw is going rather than where it has gone. Which is what I think when I see that teachers in colleges who teach students to pierce holding the saw frame straight and cutting in a direction away from the eyeline. The last time I asked a teacher why he taught this way, I was told that it was health and safety rules, never pierce towards the holding job hand in case the blade breaks and the student may stab their job holding hand.
    Another reason why I could never teach at a college :-)

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 21-11-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks Sandra

Yes, the ladybird is just a few bits of scrap silver melted into a ball. It was slightly oval shaped which is why I thought of using it for a ladybird The lines were made using a saw blade and the spots and eyes were done using a small drill bit. It was then soldered on to the shank which is just a piece of hammered wire.

Rachael x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Not entering as such, but stone setting is a firm favourite.

Name:	stock_pin_rubies.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	5378

It's a stock pin, BTW - or, as it was described yesterday, "the most expensive nappy pin ever" (although that sounds like a challenge). 2mm rubies, silver.

That's beautiful Peter