Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November Themed Competition

Andreas if this is really your first piece you should be so proud! Have you taken any courses? I am in the process of learning and my first few pieces are being used for scrap. Well more than a few pieces actually.....
    Last edited by Sandra; 28-11-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Thank you, it truly is my first piece.
    I have taken no courses at all, but watched a lot of videos and read a lot of material. I want to know everything beforehand so I don't need to stop and check things in the middle of making something.
    It might also help that I have a lot of patience and don't give up easily once I start something. It is getting started (and not sidetracked by anything) that is my main problem.

/Andreas

Hi guys, to support the filigree technique and the only one in possession my entry below
    Technique: filigree, materials: sterling silver, garnet. Took 22-25 hours to complete the project
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garnet_set01web.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	5405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garnet_set02web.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	5406
    Last edited by Dmitrii; 28-11-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Hi Dmitrii,

Could you add a little bit more about your filigree technique, perhaps in the other thread:Show and tell, Filigree Heart?

I have been unable to find your web site, can you post a link? Dennis.

I had actually planned to enter something else I have been working on this month but it didn't work out as planned, so I am entering my forged silver pendant. So far forging is my favourite technique, not to mention it does not involve soldering(!) This was made with 5mm round wire and was my first attempt at forging. I stamped a swirl design on the front and initials on the back, then darkened the stamps using the boiled egg technique.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	5411Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	5412Click image for larger version. 

Views:	40 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	5413
    Last edited by Sandra; 29-11-2013 at 02:12 PM.

This is my entry, a sterling silver and copper lilly tiara/bridal headpiece with pure silk & swarovski elements. Through this I discovered how much I like mixing metals and media. Like quite a few I have been learning as I go with the help of the wonderful folks on here. This is the 1st time I attempted anything like this, making a more sculptural form using planishing and forming and also engraving for the very 1st time. To be fair its been quite scary and a fair few temper tantrums were thrown, mainly out of fear. I think that having no training & teaching youself as you go while using expensive materials is basically terrifing. That said, overall, I really enjoyed having a go at this, and as well as finding new favourite techniques I got to pierce (which I love) and there was some pretty difficult soldering involved (which I'm not so fond of lol).The copper was polished up and coated with everbrite to retain a non tarnished finished. Hope you like it

Name:	DSC_0449.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	5414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0450.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	5415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0454.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	5416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0457.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	5417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0462.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	5418
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

That is so lovely Tasha and it looks very festive. I can relate on the feeling of working with expensive materials when you've had no training! How did you get the leaf texture? They look really good. I feel like deleting my entry as all these other entries put mine to shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    That is so lovely Tasha and it looks very festive. I can relate on the feeling of working with expensive materials when you've had no training! How did you get the leaf texture? They look really good. I feel like deleting my entry as all these other entries put mine to shame!
    Don't delete it! It's beautiful! would never have thought it was a 1st attempt in a million years it's so scary isn't it when you look at the raw materials and think eek! i spent how much? then it goes all black and gets scratched then the relief when you polish it is amazing lol.
    The copper leaves are just engraved but the sterling petals were pierced individually out of sheet, hammered like hell into a wooden block which was shaped & had a centre groove. After that i used a planishing hammer and another hammer held in a vice (can't afford dapping tools) to spread the edges of the petals and add that "wibbly" effect lilly petals have. Then i used a ball peen to add more texture and finally some more engraving before soldering into two sets of three petals which were then sweat soldered together. There was a LOT of annealing. I'm pretty sure others would have done it a different way but my excuse is that I don't know any better and just had a go
    Tasha
    X

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

love the update Tash, and it is so You!

Don't delete your work Sandra - you put a lot into it and it is your favourite technique. We all have had to start somewhere and we have different skills that will one day seem more easy than others. Best of luck to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    love the update Tash, and it is so You!

Don't delete your work Sandra - you put a lot into it and it is your favourite technique. We all have had to start somewhere and we have different skills that will one day seem more easy than others. Best of luck to everyone.
    HeeHee xxxx
    Tasha
    X