Thread: Has anyone used Silver Filled Metal?

Question Has anyone used Silver Filled Metal?

I was looking on Etsy recently and saw that some Sellers are selling "Silver Filled" Wires and findings.
    Has anyone used this before, if so...what's it like to work with and are we allowed to sell it here in the UK?
    Thanks for all replies.

Briefly, filled metal will wear through in use and cannot be soldered, because the coating will burn off. It can't be hallmarked either, so its main benefit is the cost.
    Still, I imagine copper and brass wires are as cheap and then what you see is what you get. Dennis.

I think it's horrid, and is pretending to be something it isn't. It's usually brass based as well, and the colour shows at every cut edge. Not all is nickel directive compliant either.

Oookay,...i won't be buying any of that then! Lol
    Thanks Guys.

I haven't used silver filled wire before, but I have used a lot of gold filled and have never had any problems soldering that. That said, I can't really see the point in using silver filled to begin with... if I want/need to use very cheap wire then id rather stick with copper/bronze etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    I haven't used silver filled wire before, but I have used a lot of gold filled and have never had any problems soldering that. That said, I can't really see the point in using silver filled to begin with... if I want/need to use very cheap wire then id rather stick with copper/bronze etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Yes, Gold Filled is fine...although i can't get to grips with soldering it (it just turns to Copper when i do it :/).
    But i'll defo be sticking with Sterling Silver.

I keep hearing (from the US) of good results soldering gold filled, but after a lot of attempts with many different types of flame, I'm firmly convinced that the gold burns away, leaving the brass core, which is similar enough in colour to look as though it's still one piece. This was confirmed by adding a patina, which doesn't affect the areas where the gold is still bonded in place, but does near the joint, which is IMO just bare brass by this stage.

I've used silver filled wire when doing chainmaile pattern for the first time, i don't solder and reuse the links again and again. I think that it looks as good as silver so gives me a great idea of what it looks like finished and don't cost the earth. Just have to remember to keep it way from the silver and not let the cuttings in to my waste tray.

did try and fix a silver filled bracelet which just melted before the solder ran, in the end I gave them back the mess along with a replacement in silver, as it was a one off and they were a friend i only charged for the silver so were quite happy. but would not try and make anything that needs soldering using it.
    Neil