Thread: Polishing

Unhappy Polishing

Help! Can anyone please tell me, why does my silver clay piece turn almost black whilst polishing with a mop head attached to a Dremel, and using rouge? As you can probably tell I am a novice! I started the piece off with sanding cloths, going down the grades, where am I going wrong?

I have never used silver clay but I have used rouge to polish sterling silver. It's the rouge that turns black, it's normal. You need to scrub off the compound with soapy water and a toothbrush or if you are lucky enough to own one, put it in an ultra sonic cleaner. If you have used Tripoli as well make sure you clean off all the residue before you move on to rouge and don't use the same mop heads, you need to use seperate mop heads for all polishing compounds and take care not to contaminate them. I hope that makes sense. It is very scary when a nice shiny piece goes all black and icky when you are trying to polish it but truly that is absolutely normal and it will wash off fine leaving a super shiny finish (if you have worked through the steps). Alternatively I know someone who only uses a brass brush head in a dremel to polish silver clay this leaves no residue and creates a slightly satin finish, it's good for getting into uneven surfaces so perfect if you are doing finger prints.
    Tasha
    X
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle & Podge View Post
    Alternatively I know someone who only uses a brass brush head in a dremel to polish silver clay this leaves no residue and creates a slightly satin finish, it's good for getting into uneven surfaces so perfect if you are doing finger prints.TashaX
    Actually Tasha has given you your answer, but in fact a jeweller's brass brush used by hand, or any brass brush you have around the house, such as one for brushing suede and newbuck will do. But please note brass brushes should be wet and loaded with detergent or hand soap. Otherwise the brass will transfer to your piece and discolour it.

I frequently use nothing more. Dennis.

Cookies sell just such a steel brush for silver clay with a finer than usual bristle. I find it gives a very bright finish that is quite different to using rouge though so will depend on what you want to achieve. Product Code : 700 596
    Last edited by CJ57; 30-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Hi, Thank you all for your help and advice, see what happens when you're self taught! I never knew that you had to wash off the rouge!!!! ��
    Thanks again.

I would say that you use rouge as the final polishing compound, I would first polish the surface with a Tripoli compound on a rotating bristle brush or a calico mop before finishing with a soft mop and the rouge compound. I also lightly lubricate the rouge mop with a dab of paraffin oil, added by using a pencil size piece of wood that is dipped in a jamjar of paraffin. One final tip is to hold the rotating mop on the edge of an old knife to clean off any old polishing compound from the mop.
    These are the bristle brushes I use on my polishing motor; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-CAH
    Or if you use pendant drill mops check out this set; http://www.cooksongold.com/Precious-...rcode-999-096V

James

Thanks James, I'll give that a try.