Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanium soldering clamps

Default Titanium soldering clamps

A while back I posted about the stainless steel soldering clamps that I make and use. Well if anyone is interested in the ultimate soldering clamp how about making titanium clamps. I have been working with Lee Marshall of Knew Concepts and he is now going to start supplying ready cut strips of titanium to anyone who wants to make their own titanium clamps. These clamps are light in weight and can take high temperatures when being torched, they can be pierced, filed and bent into many shapes for soldering clamps to suit many jobs. And they will outlast the stainless steel ones. Anyone who makes ear studs will find the T shaped ones great for holding ear wires in place when soldering. I am sure that some of the UK suppliers will be stocking these strips soon, so keep an eye out if you are interested as they will be for sale from Knew Concepts and their UK agents to the public.

Here are some photos that show the titanium clamps I made when testing.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44a Clamp making sheet, low res.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	5251

What a fab idea, I'm sure the strips will be a godsend Selection of premade clamps to follow maybe?
    X
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

That seems so obvious I'm somewhat peeved at not seeing it before! I use titanium strips bent into Vs to support work so I can bounce a flame under it. I think I might have to cut some more...

Peter you will find titanium solder clamps very useful, one of the improvements over my stainless steel ones is that I can make the titanium ones can be made with much finer points which are ideal for holding small items in place, these new lightweight Ti. clamps will accept much more heat without burning out and as they get hot quick they assist the soldering process.
    I posted details of the clamps on Facebook/Metalsmiths Unite 2 and got loads of interest.
    I was asked by a friend who has trouble holding spheres in place when soldering them on rings, she does not get on well with her third hand set up, so I made her a few of these clamps and she loves them.

James

Name:	46a clamp to hold spheres in place.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	5256

I think I used about 0.5mm sheet for my Vs, I might have to go a bit thicker for clamps. Bound to have some knocking around at least. The low thermal mass is very appealing!

Apropos of nothing, Ti really isn't a nice material to try to hammer form - well, not into anticlasts anyway.

My daughter wants me to make her an enamelled egg pendant, so I made up a titanium soldering clamp this morning to hold the silver egg halves together when soldering.
    I thought you might like to see the clamp as it could be useful for those making large hollow spheres.

Name:	51 Clamp to hold egg or sphere halves together.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	5257

James

Never mind the clamps - how on earth do you make those hemieggs!

Actually, looking at the clamp and the forces it might be exerting on the egg, do you think it might be more effecient/stable, if the ends were slightly 'V' shaped such that the egg is directed into the centre of the V and the clamp was 'cupping the egg ever so slightly. Probably not explained very well.
    Is titanium sheet or bar commonly available from possibly cheaper non jewellery sources does anyone know?

Start here - http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...3955#post53955

Bevelled, you mean?

I'm pretty sure there are some Ti suppliers on EBay? Not the nicest stuff to cut, but really not much worse than stainless.

Cheers for that. One day I hope! :-)

Like this <o> but vertical and much less angular, just enough that the tension in the clamp eased the egg towards the deepest part of the v.
    Not very well explained and almost certainly not worth the hassle if the original version doesn't push the egg out as it tries to spring closed.

That's the beauty of these clamps, anyone with a pair of pliers can make shapes that suit their ideas. If anyone wants to buy from USA, Knew Concepts will be selling packs of 10 titanium strips for about $20 + postage.
    As I assume the UK suppliers will be slow to stock them, but I know that Tamizan Savill will be stocking them very soon, Tamizan is an independant UK supplier of Knew Concepts tools, see;http://tamizan.co.uk/knew-concept-saws

Name:	32 A selection of shaped clamps.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	5260

James