Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Titanium soldering clamps

Thanks Peter. I think the person we both know (and love!) just buys rods. If it's that difficult to cut, I think I'll just wait till I can get the real thing.

I won't bother with the tweezers then Dennis.

Grade 5 is the tough stuff - grade 1 should be much easier to deal with. Slightly thinner wouldn't go amiss either.

I wouldn't recommend Ti tweezers either Carole, for exactly the same reason......(and yes, think he's only into rods!!)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    This lot have online ordering of small quantities:
    http://www.ti-shop.com/index.php/tit...r-1-sheet.html

Of course, if you knew someone who worked almost exclusively in Ti, they might be able to point you the right direction...

I've just been sawing some 1.5mm sheet to strips and it has been a complete pig. I suspect that what I'm working with is grade 5, and it's *really* unpleasant - blunts sawblades very quickly for one thing. In the end I used a hacksaw to slice it rather than piercing it. Shearing would be a much better bet if I can find a capable shear.
    I have the Ti 6Al-4V type stuff at about 1.5mm thickness - either way Ti is notoriously awkward to cut and machine for those even well equipped to cut other metals - feed rates, cuttings angles and tool pressure etc. all need to be different to just about every other metal.

For the smaller general workshop it is suggested a blunt hacksaw blade be used with higher pressure and speeds (seriously!) - the blade teeth heat and the Ti heats at the contact points and you essentially melt/burn (friction cut) your way through - hard to maintain accuracy (for me anyway), but cutting is way faster than with a sharp blade and normal hacksaw practices.

I'd just like to mirror what another member had noted - Ti tends to get very soft/ductile when heated to glowing and with my clamps I found it hard to maintain pressure on the workpiece, although admittedly I was performing a rather hot operation - I'll stick to Ti for solder picks and similar but I think I'll look at using some SS alloy for my clamps, and have shelved my idea of cutting out some Ti tweezers too.

Shaun.