Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Titanium soldering clamps

One thing I have found useful for that is to make the wire perfectly straight by annealing and stretching it. Then you only have to hold each end and Pat's idea of superglue would do that. You can also use thin cotter pins with the plating burned off. Dennis.

The only problem with that Dennis is that the gold wire is bent so that it's a wiggly line. The silver sheet has been hammered, so it's not completely flat. It's an anticlastic bangle that I've been making for years on a stake and had no problem with as the silver started out flat and then got hammered on the stake. Nowadays I hammer it first and then form it on the Bonny Doon. I've got 2 to make and I keep melting the gold. Nightmare.

I've never used superglue before. Do I just dab a little on the wire and then stick it down? Won't it inhibit the solder?

Carol, I would suggest that you try a few of the clamps to hold the wire in place, use 0.9mm.thick stainless steel if you don't want to buy titanium strips.
    I would use this shape of clamp and I would file a slight grove in the tip that secures the wire in place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16 2nd type clamp complete.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	5336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 Example of use for 2nd type clamp.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	5337

James

Thanks James. Funnily enough I made one of those clamps today. I'll make a few more and give it a go. For now, I've discontinued those bangles, as I'm totally fed up with them. Hopefully it will only be temporary as the clamps will work like magic.

I hope James' clamps will be the answer for you now Carole

The thing is that superglue does inhibit soldering either by itself, or if the piece is vertical and soot rises. However you can tack with a drop straight from the tube or from a saw blade, to some place remote.

It burns away with heat and then you can pickle, rinse, and add a bit more solder if needed. Dennis.

Maybe a combination of clamps and glue at intervals.

I have only used superglue once, I just dabbed a few smears on and soldered around it, it seemed to work ok.

Carole - I can't visualise the exact shape of the bangle/flat you have there, but for some similar instances how's about this:

Anneal and straighten the wire, and solder 'tack' one end into place keeping the wire flat against the surface with a clamp if needs be, then pull the wire taut and flat to the surface and do the other end the same way.

With both ends secured and any stubborn parts where the wire won't lay flat held down with a clamp, solder the rest of the wire in place starting in the middle and working towards each end one at a time.

Don't know if it would work for you but just a thought!

Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by FloWolF View Post

Anneal and straighten the wire, and solder 'tack' one end into place keeping the wire flat against the surface with a clamp if needs be, then pull the wire taut and flat to the surface and do the other end the same way.
    Carole said the wire to be soldered needs to be wiggly not straight

I am guessing that the gold is being soldered as a last step in the process. I think a combination of glue, clamps and have the flame underneath the bangle will hold the gold in place and prevent the gold from melting.
    Poor old Les